Part-Time Advisor I, College Connections
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance .
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-Kingwood
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of seven colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, is continuously named Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-Kingwood, an innovative and dynamic community college located in the pine-forested suburbs of northeast Houston, has an opening for someone interested in working with a diverse group of colleagues who want to make a difference in the lives of students and grow professionally. Kingwood focuses on fulfilling individual dreams and enhancing community life and offers unique programs in respiratory care, computer gaming and dental hygiene.
Campus address is 20000 Kingwood Drive, Kingwood, TX 77339.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The PT Advisor I meets with students in assigned discipline on a regular basis to provide advising, track academic progress and success/completion/retention. Collaborates with multiple high schools within the college’s service area to advise high school students who are interested in becoming college ready before they graduate, as well as those interested in dual credit and/or early college courses. Leads and facilitates student’s transition from high school to college. Communicates with students on a regular basis to track their success and progress. Reports on progress of students and involves others within the institution.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assists the Program Manager with planning and implementing the marketing plan for the department
- Assists the Program Manager with planning and developing successful outreach programming and events
- Advises and monitors high school students and parents on outcomes of college readiness assessment and college and career options and refers to appropriate program
- Assists students and parents in developing a course of action to become college-ready by the end of the senior year; Facilitates transition of high school students into the college environment
- Coordinates and works with high school counselors in all aspects necessary to schedule, advise, and present to students on their campuses
- Refers students and parents to college resources that are available to assist them in the selection of career paths, colleges, and majors/certifications, financial aid, scholarships and related services and assists students in scheduling assessment and career-exploration testing.
- Provides information regarding services and resources available at the college level for students with special needs adhering to ADA and 504 regulations
- Creates and coordinates workshops on study skills and learning strategies, and prepares and gives presentations.Creates visual aids, handouts, and manuals as needed
- Develops a database that tracks and reports students’ progress toward college-readiness, and reports participation statistics and progress of high school students
- Oversees the promotion and registration of on-campus events (i.e. Open House, New Student Orientation, College Night, and College Day Visits) and the Summer Bridge program and other summer programs or projects as assigned
- Assists students with the online application process, preparing students to take the college entrance assessments (i.e. the Compass test) and registering students for high school and college programs, as appropriate
- Responsible for other reasonable related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proficiency with common office software
- High level of customer service
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Strong attention to accuracy and detail for tracking of student success and student educational plans
- Ability to communicate and work well with all levels of students
- Ability to prioritize duties
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 1 year of experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in a higher education setting
- Previous experience working with students who have unique barriers and experience in assisting these students with their educational success
Hourly Pay Rate is $18.45
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in a tax deferred retirement plan and more.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume.
If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Kingwood
- Academic Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in Kingwood
- Adult & Continuing Education Programs Not specified Part Time jobs in Kingwood
- Student Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in Kingwood
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Part Time jobs in Kingwood