Director - Civic Engagement
Director - Civic Engagement
City Colleges of Chicago (CCC), is made up of seven colleges, the largest community college system in Illinois and one of the largest nationally. We provide more than 80,000 students each year access to a quality, affordable education. CCC supports students in meeting their goals – whether that is pursuit of a credential to head into or advance in the workforce, an associate degree with the intention to transfer to a four-year college, free GED or ESL courses, or continuing education. CCC seeks candidates committed to our students’ success and offers a unique opportunity for faculty and staff to have a lasting impact in our students’ lives.
The Legislative & Government Affairs Department’s mission is to provide legislative, regulatory and financial support to City Colleges of Chicago (CCC) through proactive representation before the City of Chicago City Council, the Illinois General Assembly, the offices of Illinois constitutional officers and the United States Congress. Staff in the Legislative & Government Affairs Department foster working relationships with elected officials and representatives of government agencies at the federal, state and local level to ensure understanding of CCC’s programs and initiatives, introduce and support legislation that is beneficial to CCC’s goals and strategic objectives, and to expand and maintains financial opportunities for CCC.
Reporting to the Vice Chancellor for Legislative & Community Affairs, the Director-Civic Engagement The Dir of Civic Engagement works on a cross functional team and will initiate, promote, and support co-curricular educational experiences that further the personal growth, sense of civic responsibility, and critical thinking of our students, staff, and faculty through strategic partnerships and community engagement. The Director-Civic Engagemen t is responsible for managing a portfolio of relationships with organizations that are pipelines of internships, civic engagement, student leadership development and volunteers.
- Guides strategic development and execution of co-educational and co-learning experiences to enhance students’ social capital, civic knowledge, and skill development for respectful and impactful community engagement.
- Collaborates with Provost Office, Student Affairs, Student Activities and other offices that provide student supports, to develop and deliver on-campus presentations, coordinate guest speakers and organizations on community relevant topics to student organizations, courses, and learning communities.
- In collaboration with college administrators, student services and student clubs and organizations, develops, designs, and supervises the execution of high-quality civic engagement and education experiences for students, staff and faculty, on- and off-campus to build social responsibility, social capital, and to support student engagement to make a positive impact on their community.
- Manages a portfolio of relationships with organizations that are pipelines to internships, civic engagement, student leadership development, workforce development, student services and volunteers.
- Builds and maintains relationships with individuals and organizations to support CCC’s goals
- Serves as key point of contact for neighboring businesses, institutions, residents and others in assigned area. Initiates and supports opportunities for them to be engaged in college/campus life, engages them in college/campus issues or changes affecting them, and addresses their concerns.
- Develops programs and partnerships for inclusion and equity of students with disability.
- Manages the development and implementation of civic and voter engagement program, including voter registration, non-partisan voter education, voter turn-out efforts, and field/data tracking.
- Coordinates annual Volunteer Appreciation for City Colleges student, staff and faculty.
- Acts as CCC’s point of contact for One Summer Chicago Interns. Recruits and supervises district office interns and coordinates OSC with college staff. Manages internal One Summer Chicago annual budget.
- Manages relationships with City agencies including but not limited to, Chicago Park District, Chicago Police Department, Chicago Public Library, and Chicago Transit Authority.
- Assists in the development and dissemination of key messages to local elected officials, and the community at-large.
- Communicates and coordinates with Chicago City Council members to keep them abreast of current priorities, initiatives and programs within the CCC system. Looks for opportunities for engagement and ongoing sharing of information with their offices.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Reports To Vice Chancellor for Legislative & Community Affairs
Direct Supervision None
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Education, Public Administration, Community Relations, Political Science or related filed. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Three years of experience working in a college or university setting, non-profit service organization, or public agency.
- A combination of education and experience will be taken into consideration based on the applicant’s credentials.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of CCC’s goals, strategic initiatives and programs
- Knowledge of local government, City Council structure, and city agencies
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Excellent written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to synthesize complex information and present it in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to work effectively within a culturally diverse environment
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with legislators and public officials
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within 6 months of hire.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Academic Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Community Relations & Institutional Outreach Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago