Professional Tutors (PT)
Professional Tutors (PT)
Salary: $13.40 per hour
The Learning Commons is seeking reliable part-time professional tutors to support student learning and engagement. Currently, we are looking for natural and social sciences tutors to join our student success team.
Tutors help students build confidence and improve academic performance through holistic support, active learning strategies, study skills development, facilitated group study, and individualized instruction.
The ideal candidate is a dedicated learner who is comfortable working with students with a range of academic skills and from a variety of backgrounds. In addition, the candidate should be fluent in the discipline.
- Use probing questions and supported inquiry to help students answer their own question.
- Engage students in active learning practices.
- Discuss course material to strengthen understanding and help students address knowledge gaps.
- Assist students to develop effective study strategies.
- Provide encouragement and motivation to support student retention and completion.
- Maintain accurate records and monitor sign-in stations.
- Refer students to instructors and specialized services such as counseling and advisement as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of the Learning Commons.
- An associate degree and significant course work or professional experience in their desired content area.
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Fluency in the subject matter relevant to students’ need
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite and any software requisite to area of study
- Ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Experience in college teaching or tutoring is preferred
Special Instructions to Applicants: Official academic transcripts required upon hire.
Review Start Date: 2/16/2021
Mohawk Valley Community College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer deeply committed to a community of excellence, equity, and diversity. MVCC maintains an inclusive learning environment in which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other aspects of campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and global worldview. We value the many similarities and differences among individuals and groups. We are committed to preparing students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in a world made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, military backgrounds, religious beliefs, socio-economic status, cultural traditions, different abilities, sexual orientations and gender identities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or on the basis of disability.