International Student Advisor
Position Type Civil Service Classification Title Immigration Specialist Position's Functional Title International Student Advisor Position Start Date Position End Date (if temporary) Position Summary
Governors State University is seeking to hire an Immigration Specialist to serve as Designated School Official ( DSO ) with signing authority as approved by the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of State and will be authorized to access Student and Exchange Visitor Information System ( SEVIS ). Assist the Primary Designated School Official ( PDSO ) in SEVIS maintenance, self-audits, and federally mandated registration/reporting. This position will also advise current international students on matters related to maintaining their immigration status. This position will also provide support to the Assistant Director with cultural programming and events.
Salary Range: $41,835.69 to $48,111.04.
(This is a non-unionized position. Salary starts at the base and is determined based on Education and Experience exceeding the minimum qualifications).
REQUIRED : DOCUMENTATION CONFIRMING HIGH SCHOOL COMPLETION OR EQUIVALENT MUST BE ATTACHED FOR CONSIDERATION OF THIS POSITION, COLLEGE / UNIVERSITY TRANSCRIPTS MAY BE SUBSTITUTED (See “Special instructions to applicants” section below)
1. One (1) year (12 months) of responsible work experience in immigration counseling and visa application filing or in a higher education setting performing international student/scholar advising, international student recruitment or international student admissions.
2. Any one or any combination of the following, totaling three (3) years (36 months) from the categories below:
A. Progressively more responsible work experience in immigration counseling and visa application filing or in a higher education setting performing international student/scholar advising, international student recruitment, or international student admissions;
B. College coursework leading to a major in business administration, education administration, one of the social or behavioral sciences, a foreign language or one related to foreign affairs/service.
60 semester hours equal one (1) year/12 months
90 semester hours equal two (2) years/24 months
120 semester hours or a Bachelor’s degree equals three (3) years/36 months
Note: A Master’s degree in Education Administration, Counseling, International Relations, International Development, Cross Cultural Communication or Communications meets Credential #2.
• Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a related field and two years of immigration advising experience in a higher education setting/ international student and scholar office.
• Familiarity with the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System ( SEVIS ); knowledge of SEVIS procedures and processes.
• Knowledge of FERPA
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in international and intercultural situations
• Demonstrated persistence in overcoming obstacles and achieving challenging goals
• Demonstrated accuracy and thoroughness
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity and sensitivity working with a diverse student body
• Experience in studying abroad/abroad programs.
Posting Date 02/03/2021 Closing Date 02/24/2021 Open Until Filled No Posting Number CS0488P Type of Search External Quicklink for Posting https://employment.govst.edu/postings/5774 Employee ID Department Special Instructions to Applicants
DOCUMENTATION REQUIREMENT :
For consideration, applicants are required to attach the following:
1: Documentation confirming High School completion or equivalent (use “Transcripts” or “Other” to attach document).
2: Online Application – Must be fully completed, include all dates of employment, employment status (full-time or if part-time, include percentages), job duties and responsibilities (full details).
3: Cover Letter.
5: A list of three Professional References.
RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT :
Illinois residency required within 180 days of the hire date.
CREDENTIAL ASSESSMENT EXAM DETAILS :
This vacancy involves a Credential Assessment Examination which consist of a review and rating of the applicants Education, Experience, Licenses, and other qualifications. Applicants are required to provide electronic documentation as listed above to verify that the minimum qualifications for this position has been met.
VETERAN’S PREFERENCE POINTS :
Veterans may be eligible to receive additional points on a passing final examination score. To determine eligibility, submit one of the following documents to the Department of Human Resources:
1: Department of Defense – DD214/DD215
2: National Guard – NGB22 Form
3: Discharge Orders
4: Reserves – DD256 Discharge Certificate
Note: Must be received by the closing date of this posting.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you a U.S. Permanent Resident or Citizen as required by
U.S. federal law to access the Student and Exchange Visitor
Information System (SEVIS)?
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- High School Diploma or GED
- Veteran’s Preference Points Documentation
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Park Forest
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Park Forest
- Counsellor Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Park Forest
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Park Forest
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Park Forest