The Sergeant is responsible for supervision of an assigned shift of officers and support personnel and is responsible for the protection of life and property and enforcement of pertinent laws within the jurisdiction of the University Police Department. The Sergeant is responsible for the performance of his/her duties under the general supervision of the Operations Division Commander. Additionally, Sergeants are responsible for mentoring and training their subordinates on a daily basis.
- Sergeants are designated Watch Commanders and are responsible for the supervision of the Officers and Cadets assigned to the shift.
- Support patrol by assisting on calls and supervising events.
- Make notifications when appropriate and coordinate responses by other entities both on and off campus.
- Provides public representations and workshops in support of department programs
- Patrols area within the jurisdiction of UPD, arrests violators of federal, state, and/or local laws, and prepares factual reports concerning the arrests.
- Investigates and prepares complete reports of crimes occurring on the University campus wherein the perpetrator has evaded arrest or detection.
- Cite violators of traffic regulations within the specified jurisdiction; conducts initial investigation of crimes occurring on state property, and investigates potential safety hazards either observed or reported.
- Provides security for large gatherings, assemblies and/or other university activities or events.
- Participates in emergency preparedness, crime prevention and safety programs on an as required bases.
- Develops, implements, and enforces campus and department policies, procedures, and regulations within the assigned area of responsibility.
- Serves as the lead or senior member on assigned campus patrol operation; assists watch commander or patrol agent responsible for leading a shift and providing direction to officers in the field, mentoring and training.
- Coordinate scheduling for shifts which include days off, vacation and sick leave.
- Review and authorize overtime and subordinate calendars
- Report directly to Command Staff on any issue deemed necessary
- Coordinate training requests
- Author memos and inter departmental communication when necessary
- Provides public presentations and workshops in support of department programs
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Law enforcement, public safety and security methods
- Crowd and traffic control techniques used in maintaining public safety
- Laws and regulations regarding investigation and arrest
- Applicable local, state and federal laws and California Administrative and Education Codes
- Learn quickly and apply specific University rules and regulations
- Prepare clear and concise reports
- Excellent customer service and public relation skills
- Plan, organize, and supervise the work of others
- Relate and gain the confidence and the cooperation of members of the academic community
- Deal tactfully and effectively with a widely diverse population
- Act calmly and rationally in emergency situations
- Assist in the administration of public safety program in a fair and objective manner
- Ability to assist in the administration of public safety program in a fair and objective manner
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to meet all requirements for POST Certification
- Graduation from a P.O.S.T. academy, a Basic Course Certificate
- Three or more years of active law enforcement experience or possession of a P.O.S.T. Intermediate Certificate. Must have completed or be able to complete a P.O.S.T. certified Supervisor's Course within one year of appointment.
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.
- POST Advanced or Supervisory Certificate
- 3 (three) years in a supervisory position or 5 (five) years total as a sworn officer in various disciplines
Anticipated Hiring Salary: $8,861/month
Hiring Range: $6,000/month - $9,275/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: February 4, 2021 through February 21, 2021 . This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: February 04, 2021 (12:00 PM) Pacific Standard Time
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Other Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Community Relations & Institutional Outreach Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Safety & Security Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose