Director of Academic Advising and Exploration Center - Academic Advising and Exploration Center -
The Division of Enrollment and Retention at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater seeks a Director of Academic Advising and Exploration Center (DIR, ACAD ADV/M).
This will be a full-time Limited appointment serving at the pleasure of the Chancellor. To learn more about this type of appointment please see the UW System Administrative Policy 1251: Appointment Terms & Designation of Positions and the Personnel Rules .
The Director of Academic Advising is a 12-month, full-time position that reports to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Enrollment and Retention. The individual will work as a team member in a fast-paced workplace focused on customer service providing support to students across the University. The director oversees all aspects of administration and day-to-day management of the Academic Advising and Exploration Center.
The director is a key administrator in promoting and supporting multiple institutional plans and activities related to student success, retention, graduation and supporting diversity efforts. The director will work collaboratively with offices, including but not limited to the undergraduate colleges, Registrar, the Bursar, Undergraduate Admissions, First Year Experience, University Marketing and Communications, Financial Aid, and Equity, Diversity and Inclusion to ensure consistent, responsive and timely delivery of high quality and coordinated services to all constituencies. The director will participate in or lead campus committees where academic advising is an important factor.
The director will be responsible for all compliance within the office including developing and monitoring all policies and procedures and reporting. The director will coordinate all outreach programs coordinating with admissions, orientation and other campus groups. The director will also supervise the Associate Director who also serves as the Coordinator of Academic Standards. The director will be responsible for the departmental budget. Finally, the director will complete all trainings and drills as required for the position.
- Master's degree
- Five or more years of experience in an advising center or related area in a comprehensive community college or university
- Demonstrated ability to effectively supervise and motivate personnel
- Demonstrated knowledge of the academic advising functions and best practices
- Demonstrated knowledge of the planning, implementation and monitoring of budgets in an educational environment
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing and effectively present information to university administration, public groups, and other interested parties
- Knowledge of FERPA and other privacy laws and regulations
- Previous leadership experience (assistant, associate or director of advising) in the administration of academic advising
- Demonstrated experience with academic recovery programs and services related to students who were dismissed or suspended from the university
- Previous use of People Soft student information system
- Additional experience as an academic advisor
- Willingness and ability to be an active participant in following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills
- Ability to interact respectfully with people from diverse socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds
The following examples of duties and responsibilities illustrate the general range of tasks assigned to the position, but are not intended to define the limits of required duties. Other essential duties may be assigned consistent with the general scope of the position.
- Provide leadership and strategic planning of all operations of the Academic Advising and Exploration Center. This includes supervision, evaluation, and training of all staff.
- Provide campus leadership regarding all aspects of academic advising. Serve as a resource on how academic advising can serve as a tool for meeting retention, graduation and diversity goals.
- Assist with the development, implementation, monitoring, and revision of policies and procedures relating to academic advising.
- Work closely with multiple departments across the university to ensure consistent, responsive and timely delivery of high quality and coordinated services to all constituencies.
- Coordinate student and parent programming activities related to advising processes including but not limited to admissions and orientation sessions and high school visits.
- Coordinate training for all professional academic advisors on the campus.
- Participate in and lead various committees and groups on campus such as Advising Council, Pathway for Success, University Curriculum Committee, Retention Committee, Academic Standards, etc.
- Lead and support the operation of EAB Navigate.
- Supervise staff who coordinates national and regional placement exams.
- Supervise the Reinstated and Probationary Student Office which is responsible for students who are reinstated from academic dismissal or on academic probation.
- Participate in professional organizations, conferences and workshops when appropriate.
- Manage the AAEC departmental budget.
- Complete all trainings and drills as required for the position.
- Additional duties as assigned
Founded in 1868, UW–Whitewater is one of eleven comprehensive universities in a public higher education system that also includes two doctoral institutions and a statewide Extension. In the fall of 2018, as a result of the University of Wisconsin System’s restructuring of the state’s 13 two-year campuses formerly known as UW Colleges, UW–Rock County began operating as a branch campus of UW–Whitewater under the new name of University of Wisconsin–Whitewater at Rock County. Together, these campuses form a preeminent academic institution driven by the pursuit of knowledge, powered by a spirit of innovation, and focused on transforming lives. The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Main Campus and Rock County Campus are located conveniently near Milwaukee, Madison, and Chicago, and thus offers the advantage of beautiful small-town environments with easy access to the cultural and commercial opportunities of major metropolitan areas.
The Warhawk family — led by caring faculty and staff — is devoted to student success within a broad range of academic programs. UW-Whitewater has a special mission within the UW System to serve students with disabilities and, as such, embraces the principles of universal design and is one of the most accessible campuses in the state. The campuses have more than 200 student organizations and UW-Whitewater is a Division III NCAA university. UW-Whitewater is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse campus environment, building a diverse faculty and staff with expertise and interest in serving students with diverse needs, backgrounds, ethnicities, abilities and other distinct characteristics in respectful, sensitive and understanding ways. The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and actively seeks and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and veterans.
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is part of the 13-campus University of Wisconsin System ( https://www.wisconsin.edu ).
Wisconsin Statute 19.36(7)(b) provides that applicants may indicate in writing that their identity should be kept confidential. In response to a public records request, the University will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wisconsin Statute 19.36(7)(a).
Per Regent Policy Document 20-19, University of Wisconsin System Criminal Background Check Policy and UW System Administrative Policy 1275 Recruitment Policies, UW-Whitewater requires criminal background checks as a contingency to employment. A criminal background check will be conducted prior to an offer of employment. All final candidates must be asked, prior to hire, whether they have been found to have engaged in, are currently under investigation for, or left employment during an active investigation in which they were accused of sexual violence or sexual harassment. When obtaining employment reference checks, these same sexual violence or sexual harassment questions must also be asked.
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater requires that all employees be active participants in following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills.
For UW-Whitewater Campus safety information and crime statistics/annual Security Report, see http://www.uww.edu/asfr . If you would like a paper copy of the report please contact the UW-Whitewater Police at 262-472-4660.
To learn more about UW-Whitewater's competitive benefits packages go to our: ALEX webpage, which is our interactive benefits decision support tool.
UW-Whitewater embraces AAC&U’s LEAP principles ( http://www.uww.edu/leap ) and emphasizes student, staff and faculty participation in High-Impact Practices ( https://www.aacu.org/resources/high-impact-practices ). The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs ( http://www.uww.edu/orsp ) provides support for faculty scholarly and creative activities as well as other opportunities to apply for reassigned time and/or other resources to support research activities. UW-Whitewater faculty and staff also have access to technology transfer and research resources provided by WiSys ( https://www.wisys.org ).
CONDITIONS OF APPOINTMENT:
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater does not offer H-1B or other work authorization visa sponsorship for this position. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact Human Resources.
The University of Wisconsin System is engaged in a Title and Total Compensation (TTC) project to redesign job titles and compensation structures. As a result of the TTC project, official job titles on current job postings is targeted to be implemented mid-2021. Job duties and responsibilities will remain the same. For more information please visit: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/title-and-total-compensation-study/
The University of Wisconsin - Whitewater has the authority to implement temporary workforce reduction and cost saving measures to address financial challenges resulting from the COVID-19 Crisis, consistent with Wisconsin law and Board of Regents, UW System, and UW-Whitewater policy and procedure.
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION:
Applications received by March 4, 2021 are ensured full consideration. Applications received after that date may be given consideration at the discretion of the search committee. The most qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment or if you are unable to complete the application online due to a disability or system problem, please contact us at (262) 472-1072 or email@example.com .
For questions regarding this position, please contact:
Chief of Institutional Research and Planning
Only complete application packages will be considered. This includes online submission of the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Name and contact information for three professional references
Who Are You?
A potential applicant who is NOT currently employed by the University of Wisconsin System, click here and type in the Job ID: UW-Whitewater External Applicants
A current employee of the University of Wisconsin System, click here and type in the Job ID: UW-Whitewater Internal Applicants
Before you get started with the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) by selecting the link below.
Apply Online FAQs
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Whitewater
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Whitewater
- Academic Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Whitewater
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Whitewater
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Whitewater