University Code 24253 University Title Information Technology Developer/Programmer 3 University Job Family Information Technology ORP Eligible No For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Single Title Scope of Search Local Working Title Java Developer Position Number 586240 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? No Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department Application Services Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
VCU Applications Services has an exciting opportunity for a Java Developer to join our team! This position will work remotely, The Applications Services Team encourages all candidates to apply regardless of location.
Provide technical expertise and application development for the myVCU portal, Central Authentication Service, VCU Service Facade, and other web-based applications both custom built and vendor supported; assist customers with using application and software maintained by the department; write and maintain user and machine-to-machine web-based applications and services as needed by the university; and develop user-friendly front ends to third-party software.
Minimum Hiring Standards
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science / Engineering / Information Systems or equivalent professional experience
• At least 2 years of experience in developing n-tier Java web applications in a professional environment
• Experience working with Java-based frameworks, such as Spring Boot
• Ability to configure and administer enterprise-wide Java-based web applications running in a servlet container, such as Tomcat
• Knowledge of SQL databases, such as Oracle, SQL Server, and/or mySQL, and the ability to write SQL statements
• Working knowledge of networks and internet protocols such as TCP /IP, HTTP, and LDAP
• Demonstrated knowledge of Linux operating systems
• Ability to provide support to customers of the tools we build and maintain.
• Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
• Self-starter with the desire to learn new technologies and languages independently
• Ability to self-manage assigned tasks and projects
• Ability to work effectively with other information technology staff
• Demonstrated ability to think critically and creatively
• Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and to adjust to changing requirements
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment or commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU .
• Other duties as assigned.
Preferred Hiring Standards
• Experience with RESTful web services design, development, and automated testing
• Experience with OAuth, SAML, and CAS
• Experience with development, deployment, and orchestration of containers, APIs, and microservices architecture
• Experience with Spring MVC, Spring WebFlow, and Spring Security
• Experience with the following:
• Testing and testing frameworks, such as JUnit and JMeter
• Hibernate/ JPA or similar Object Relational Mapping ( ORM ) tools
• Continuous integration (CI/CD) tools such as Jenkins
• Version control systems such as Git
• Build tools such as Maven
• DevOps tools such as Docker, Puppet, and Kubernetes
• Interest in designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
• Experience with operational aspects of running java applications such as monitoring, tuning and troubleshooting a JVM
• Experience with the Atlassian Suite (Jira, Confluence, BitBucket)
• Strong practical Linux based systems administration skills and scripting experience
• Ability to write and modify scripts to resolve complex tasks quickly and avoid repetitive tasks
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range $65,000 to $85,000 Commensurate with experience Application Process/Additional Information Campus Monroe Park Campus Hours/Week 40 Normal Work Days/Hours Monday-Friday/8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Job Open Date 02/04/2021 Posting will close on or before Open Until Filled Yes Job Category Information Technology Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? Yes Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/103328 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Computer Sciences & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond