Full-time faculty position in English as a Second Language (open rank)
Position Title: Full-time faculty position in English as a Second Language (open rank)
Reports To: Director of the Academy
Reports From: Academy Department
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
No. of position: 1
Vacancy #: AF-Int-48-2021
Position Announcement close date: February 20, 2021
Founded in 2006, the American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) is a private, non-profit, nationally-accredited university offering an American-style liberal arts education. We are a dynamic university with a student population of over 1,000 students.
The Academy program was founded in the fall semester of 2018 to prepare students in English language proficiency, academic integrity, and entry-level math skills to succeed in English-only instruction in their undergraduate programs. The Academy is seeking qualified candidates for full-time English as a second language faculty to begin in the fall semester 2021. Rank will be commensurate with qualifications, experience, and the needs of the University. Review of applications will begin immediately, and will continue until the position is filled. The job is located in Kabul, Afghanistan.
This regular faculty appointment is a full-time, nine-month, non-tenure-track faculty position, one-year, three-year renewable, with the potential to be converted to a multi-year position. Teaching responsibilities include a four/four teaching load consisting of intermediate and advanced level English language courses. In addition to teaching and mentoring, AUAF faculty responsibilities include scholarship and university service.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Faculty fulfil the roles and responsibilities described in the Faculty Handbook and university policies and procedures that detail specific faculty duties. Major responsibilities are listed below.
With the exception of holidays, university closures, weekends, and other breaks, faculty are expected to be working on campus in Afghanistan during the base contract period. The base contract period refers to an academic year consisting of two semesters, including pre- and post-semester faculty workshops and advising. The contractual period extends from one week before the start of the first semester to one day after spring graduation, which full-time faculty are required to attend.
Teaching and Mentoring
- Teach up to four pre-university non-credit courses (12-15 contact hours) per semester, evaluating student work and assessing student learning outcomes.
- Participate in weekly team meetings.
- Hold regular office hours and work with individual students, acting as academic mentor.
- Remain engaged and current in the field.
- Assist in orientation and test administration.
- Remain scholarly active, contributing scholarship that goes beyond professional engagement to include the creation of intellectual products that are available to internal and/or external audiences.
- Contribute to the overall well-being and development of the university.
- Service to the university includes both internal activities and external outreach on the behalf of the institution.
- A strong sense of values and ethics, consistent with the mandate of the American University of Afghanistan.
- Service can take many forms, including fostering collegiality, participating in the life of the university, assisting in curriculum review, participating actively in committee work, developing the capacity of external stakeholders on the behalf of AUAF, consulting and grant-writing for the university and service to the external community.
- MATESOL degree or Master’s degree and TESL certification; PhD/EdD preferred
- Specialization in program/course assessment and/or developing assessments such as, rubrics tests, quizzes, oral exams, formative and summative assessments.
- Native English speaker
- Significant teaching experience in western higher education and evidence of excellence in university teaching.
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
- Publications or evidence of professional engagement.
- Experience teaching in international, multicultural, developing and/or post-conflict settings preferred.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Demonstrated experience with a learning management system, Canvas preferred.
Benefits and Environment
This is an exceptional opportunity to work at a recently formed university in an emerging and rapidly changing society.
The American University of Afghanistan offers a generous benefits package that includes a competitive salary, air transportation, university-provided accommodation, and paid international health care insurance for international employees.
International faculty and staff live and work on AUAF’s 50-acre main campus or the 5-acre campus across the street. The AUAF campuses utilize state-of-the-art security infrastructure and protocols and are protected by a large professional security corps. Transportation between the adjacent campuses or to approved locations and the airport is by armored, guarded vehicles.
To apply, please send as a single PDF document: a cover letter, curriculum vitae (CV), statement of teaching purpose, and contact information for three references to email@example.com Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please, include AF-Int-48-2021- Full-time faculty position in English as a Second Language (open rank) in the subject line of the email, otherwise, the application will not be considered. Applications in languages other than English will not be reviewed. Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. A written test or example of work may be used as a form of screening.
If hired, the successful applicant is expected to provide official proof of academic degrees (transcripts sent from the degree-granting school directly to AUAF).
AUAF does not charge recruitment fees to applicants.
AUAF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. AUAF follows a strict non-discriminatory policy in its selection and employment practices. All applicants will receive equal consideration and applicants from all ethnic, religious and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
AUAF strives to ensure that all employees work in safe environments, but safety and security are to a great degree contingent on various factors within Afghanistan that are outside of AUAF’s control. Applicants should carefully consider and evaluate their safety and security in Afghanistan.
Apply for Full-time faculty position in English as a Second Language (open rank)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly