Director & Instructor, Sales Program
Full-time, non-tenure track position in Marketing (Director of Sales Program)
APPOINTMENT START DATE:
Appointment begins July 1, 2021; classes begin August 30, 2021
APPLICATION REVIEW DATE:
Review of completed applications will begin on March 8, 2021, and continues until the position is filled
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Labovitz School of Business and Economics (LSBE) at the University of Minnesota Duluth (UMD) invites applications for a full-time, non-tenure-track faculty position in the Department of Marketing to serve as the Director of the Sales Program beginning Fall 2021. In 2019, LSBE launched a major in Professional Sales at the undergraduate level and hopes to establish a dedicated Sales Lab. The professional sales major is one of the most successful major launches in the School and already has almost 100 students enrolled. The major teaches students professional selling skills, an understanding of organizational buying behavior, customer relationship management, sales technology, distribution channels, and analytics. The program has a robust business-to-business product and service focus aiming to produce graduates who, in addition to demonstrating strong interpersonal communication and quantitative skills, are adept team players with trust-based consultative selling abilities. The program has strong, broad-based industry support from companies including 3M, Fastenal, Loffler Companies, Andersen Corporation, Ferguson and others.
The individual hired for this position will be responsible for serving as Director of the Sales Program and teaching four undergraduate courses (12 credits) in each academic year (such as Fundamentals of Selling, Advanced Professional Selling and Sales Analytics). Responsibilities also include recruiting, selecting, advising, mentoring and coaching undergraduate students admitted into the program; preparing students to participate in national sales competitions; collaborating with LSBE Internship Director in management of sales internships; planning and establishing a Sales Lab; fundraising for the program; maintaining the program’s industry-relevant curriculum; developing and working with a program advisory board of key stakeholders; growing the status of the program nationally; remaining current with industry trends, tools, sales techniques and an understanding of how social network platforms and digital technology are impacting sales practices; serving as faculty advisor for the sales club and engaging in service activities with colleagues, the department, School, campus, community and professional organizations, and any other tasks assigned by the Dean/Department Head.
The Labovitz School of Business and Economics (LSBE) is AACSB International accredited and housed in a state-of-the-art building. Approximately 1,900 undergraduate and graduate students are currently enrolled in the school’s programs. There are currently 50+ full-time faculty members in four academic departments: Accounting and Finance, Economics, Management Studies, and Marketing. The School offers the Bachelor of Accounting, Bachelor of Business Administration, Bachelor of Arts in Economics, and MBA degrees. Additional information about the School and its programs can be found at LSBE’s website at http://lsbe.d.umn.edu.
Duluth, with a population of approximately 85,000 people, is located at the head of beautiful Lake Superior. As a major shipping port, over 1,000 vessels from around the world pass under its iconic Aerial Lift Bridge, annually. As a popular tourist destination, Duluth is visited by 3.5 million people annually, accounting for a $780 million economic impact. More information about Duluth can be found at www.visitduluth.com.
- At least a Master’s degree in Marketing or a related field or a Master’s degree in Business from an accredited institution.
- Must meet conditions for one of the four 2013 AACSB faculty qualifications [Scholarly Academic (SA), Practice Academic (PA), Scholarly Practitioner (SP), or Instructional Practitioner (IP)] as defined by LSBE (see https://lsbe.d.umn.edu/docs/Faculty%20Qualifications%20Definitions.pdf).
- At least five years of work experience in the sales, sales training and/or sales management field.
- Possess the background and skills for teaching sales courses such as Fundamentals of Selling, Advanced Professional Selling, and Sales Analytics.
- Demonstrated experience in training, presenting or teaching in industry and or higher education.
- Demonstrated experience with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tools and techniques and Microsoft Excel.
- Graduate Degree in Business from an AACSB accredited institution or a major national or provincial university.
- Five or more years of executive experience at a senior-level in a corporate setting or five or more years teaching in a university setting.
- Successful as an instructor in at least one university-level marketing or sales course.
- Experience preparing students for sales competitions.
- Experience fulfilling service obligations to colleagues, department, school, campus, community and professional organizations.
- Demonstrated evidence of experience working in a diverse environment and a commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Passion about the sales profession, technology and committed life-long learning.
Applications must be submitted online. To apply for this position, go to http://www1.umn.edu/ohr/employment/ and search for job opening 339134.
Complete applications MUST include the following documents (in pdf format) as attachments (#6 is optional):
- Cover Letter expressing interest and clearly explaining how the required qualifications are met;
- Current Curriculum Vitae/Resume;
- A written statement covering experience and commitment to diversity. The statement should address experience working with groups that include diversity (in terms of gender and other identities) and should suggest ideas for building diversity and inclusion within the professional sales major.
- List of three (3) professional references to include name, address, phone numbers and email addresses;
- Graduate transcript (official or unofficial);
- Teaching Evaluations (if available) completed by students or corporate training participants (attach as “Portfolio”).
Important: Attachments (1) and (2) are uploaded during the online application process. The additional attachments (3), (4), (5) and (6) will need to be uploaded after submitting the online application by returning to the “My Job Applications” page [Actions Menu > Careers> My Job Applications]. For more information on using the online Job Application System, please visit: https://humanresources.umn.edu/find-job/using-job-app-system
Applicants must be able to demonstrate authorization to work in the United States at the University of Minnesota Duluth by the start date. Final candidates may be asked to provide additional information.
The University adheres strictly to the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act where applicant/nominee names remain private and applications are maintained with absolute confidence. To protect confidentiality of potential applicants, names are only released to the public when a candidate becomes a finalist and confirms his/her intention to proceed with the selection process.
The Screening Committee will begin its review of completed applications on March 8, 2021, and will continue until the position is filled. Questions can be directed to the chair of the Screening Committee:
Dr. Stephen B. Castleberry, Professor of Marketing & Business Ethics
Screening Committee Chair
Labovitz School of Business and Economics
335 LSBE, 1318 Kirby Drive
Duluth, MN 55812-3002
Phone: 218-726-7757; Email: email@example.com; Fax: 218-726-7516
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
Smoking, chewing tobacco and the use of electronic cigarettes is prohibited on all UMD property, including indoor facilities, campus grounds and University vehicles.
If you have started receiving retirement annuity payments from the Minnesota State Retirement System (MSRS) or Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA) your eligibility for this position may be impacted. Please contact UM Benefits at 1-800-756-2363 for any eligibility limitations.
We welcome and encourage individuals from underrepresented groups and US military veterans to apply.
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
SPECIAL NOTICE FOR COVID-19:
The UMN has suspended hiring for most positions. However, we will continue hiring for positions critical to the University's mission and operations at this time. Applications are being accepted for this position and you are encouraged to apply. In-person interviews are suspended indefinitely and will be replaced by interviews in a virtual format. Thank you for your continued interest in working at the University of Minnesota.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Non-Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Duluth
- Business & Management Non-Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Duluth
- Business Administration Non-Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Duluth
- Marketing & Sales Non-Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Duluth