Assistant Professor, Liberal Studies (Elementary/STEM Focus)
Assistant Professor, Liberal Studies (Elementary/STEM Focus)
Job No: 498004
Work Type: Instructional Faculty - Tenured/Tenure-Track
Location: Dominguez Hills
Categories: Unit 3 - CFA - California Faculty Association, Faculty - Education/Library Science, Probationary, Tenured/Tenure-Track, Full Time
Assistant Professor - STEM Focus
College of Education - Liberal Studies
The Liberal Studies Department at California State University, Dominguez Hills (CSUDH) invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor with the appointment starting in Fall 2021.
At CSUDH, we celebrate and respect diversity in all forms that include every race, religion, gender, ethnicity, veterans, people with varied abilities, and members of the LGBTQ+ community. CSUDH is seeking applications from candidates who can demonstrate experience in teaching and working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and contribute to the University's mission, vision, and core values.
For more information: Mission, Vision, and Core Values
Liberal Studies, College of Education
Liberal Studies is an interdisciplinary major in the College of Education leading to a Bachelor of Arts and is a California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) approved Elementary Subject Matter Program. The major is designed to provide a broad undergraduate liberal arts education, as well as elementary subject matter content to students interested in teaching elementary school or special education. The College is recognized for preparing teachers, administrators, counselors, and other specialists who work effectively with a variety of learners from diverse backgrounds, especially those living in poverty. We are accredited by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing and have a dynamic faculty with a longstanding commitment to providing excellent preparation for urban school educators in the Los Angeles region.
For more information: : http://csudh.edu/coe
The faculty of the College of Education at California State University Dominguez Hills invites applications from individuals for a Tenure Track Assistant or Associate Professor position in the Liberal Studies Department of the College of Education. The ideal candidate will be passionate about preparing the next generation of justice educators, particularly to develop the knowledge and skills of culturally, linguistically, and economically diverse undergraduates. Our program offers a range of courses that provide an introduction to the teaching profession, exploration of theoretical foundations of education, and research-based instructional practices in all subject areas. Candidates with well-rounded experience along with an Elementary STEM expertise will be given priority.
- Content, teaching, and research expertise in STEM education with ability to prepare elementary teachers in the areas of: Engineering and the Arts, Earth Sciences, and Early Mathematics.
- Knowledge of the Common Core State Standards and Next Generation Science Standards.
- Quantitative research methods expertise with a social justice perspective.
- Successful experience in teaching and supporting first-generation college students by building rapport and promoting self-efficacy.
- Exhibit sensitivity with knowledge of ethnic, linguistic, gender, economic, and cultural diversities (amongst others).
- Functions and communicates effectively and respectfully within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities, and cultural backgrounds.
- Knowledge of theories and methods about teaching for equity and justice and ability to integrate these concepts into content-specific courses (i.e. critical consciousness, critical pedagogies, culturally responsive teaching, culturally and linguistically sustaining pedagogies, brain-based learning, sustainability, humanizing practices, trauma-informed teaching, etc.).
- Spanish/English bilingual.
- Depth of knowledge in qualitative, quantitative, and/or mixed methodologies.
- Evidence of successful expertise or experience in elementary classroom teaching with inclusive practices for differently abled students.
Employment Requirement - Background Check
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
Mandated Reporter Per CANRA
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA) and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083, revised July 21, 2017, as a condition of employment.
How to Apply- To apply for this position, please click the "Apply Now" button on this page.
The position is open until filled. Review of applications will begin in January 2021. For full consideration, please submit your completed application with the required materials no later than January 15, 2021.
- Cover letter describing applicants professional goals
- Current Curriculum Vitae with contact information
- Statement on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion specifically outlining working with undergraduates who are culturally, linguistically, economically diverse
- A Statement on Teaching
- Teaching Evaluations (if available)
- A Statement on Research
- Sample Publications or Evidence of Creative/Scholarly Activity
- List of three (3) references with contact information*
- Unofficial transcripts (an official transcript will be required for the finalist)
*This position requires three letters of recommendation (LORs). Please do not upload your LORs with your application. Your list of references will be notified at the appropriate time during the search process. They will receive a request via email along with information on uploading the LOR. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUDH by logging back into your applicant portal.
**For finalist with International transcripts, a United States Equivalency certification will be required.
A United States (US) Equivalency certification is required for earned/awarded/conferred foreign terminal degrees, which is from a foreign Academic Institution for foreign studies. The US Equivalency certification is used to validate foreign studies from an academic credential evaluation agency and is evaluated on foreign studies and deemed to be equivalent to degrees from the United States. The certification must translate the information in English, and confirm that your highest terminal degree is US Equivalent to a US terminal degree (i.e., Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate's, Doctor of Philosophy). The certification can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed directly to the office of Faculty Affairs and Development, 1000 East Victoria Street, WH-368, Carson, CA 90747.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Dr. Angela Macias (email@example.com)
Liberal Studies Search Committee Chair
CSU, Dominguez Hills
1000 East Victoria Street, (College of Education, #1433)
Carson, CA 90747
CSUDH is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
For more information: U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
Individuals with disabilities requesting accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may call the Human Resources' Office (310) 243-3771.
Clery Act crime statistics for CSUDH are available at Campus Security Report (Clery), or by calling University Police at (310) 243-3639.
Upon appointment, all candidates must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.
The California State University is Smoke and Tobacco Free. Smoking, Vaping and other Tobacco use are Not Permitted anywhere on University property. Education Code 42356, CCR Title 5, Article 9.
For more information see: Smoke & Tobacco-Free
Applications Close: Open until filled
To apply, visit: https://careers.csudh.edu/en-us/job/498004/assistant-professor-liberal-studies-elementarystem-focus