Public Safety Officer
Under the general supervision of the shift Sergeant, performs routine work in the protection of people and in the safeguarding of University property. Incumbent secures assigned property against possible loss or damage and is charged with insuring the safety of all individuals on campus. Will also be responsible for equipment and vehicle maintenance.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Physically able to provide security service to the campus community by performing regular and routine patrols of assigned areas by foot, golf cart, bicycle or vehicle; perform building walk-through’s floor by floor which involves walking up/down numerous levels of stairs; assisting in traffic direction and parking; issuing University information to visitors; escorting University community members to and from buildings and parking lots; locking and unlocking facilitates as requested by authorized person(s); issuing traffic citations; providing disaster and emergency evaluation and management; maintaining records, both manual and automated; preparing clear and concise reports regarding complaints, incidents, accidents, thefts and reporting of activities for daily logs
Normal Work Schedule: 1800-0600 Rotating Shifts
- High school diploma, GED, or an equivalent certificate of competency; supplemented by one year of related work experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Must possess a “Class D” security license with the State of Florida, or be willing to pursue and secure such certification (State of Florida Chapter 493)
- Ability to effectively meet and deal with the public
- Within 90 days of employment, possess and maintain a valid Florida driver’s license and acceptable driving record
- Ability to pass standard law enforcement background/security check
- Must be in good physical condition
As this position requires the operation of University vehicles, the possession and maintenance of a valid Florida driver’s license and acceptable driving record is required.