Medical Assistant II
The Department of Surgery-Division of Plastic Surgery at Baylor College of Medicine is seeking a competent and reliable medical assistant to support the clinicians providing outpatient surgical care services to private practice patients. This position will assist in the examination and treatment of patients under the direction of the physician. Main responsibilities include interviewing patients, measuring vital signs (i.e. pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, weight and height), assisting with in-office procedures, sterilizing instruments and recording information on the patient electronic chart using EPIC. Shift will be from 8:00-5:00 Monday-Friday.
The Medical Assistant, under supervision of the Clinic Advanced Practice Provider is responsible for assisting in the delivery of health care and patient care management. Candidate must possess a proactive, team-oriented attitude. Performs selected nursing and administrative duties using the principles of team-based care of a patient-centered medical home, chronic care management models and quality improvement. It is the responsibility of this position to contribute to a patient centric and customer focused environment where the needs of the patients come first.
- Manages in-basket messages and ensures that they are answered within 24 hours.
- Collects patient history and vitals and inputs into EPIC EMR.
- Notates the primary complaint/reason for patient’s visit.
- Sets up instruments and equipment for Physician.
- Acts as liaison between physician and patient by relaying pertinent information about test results and clinic visits.
- Maintains patient and service rooms in a neat and orderly condition.
- Schedules patient tests, procedures, and appointments in EPIC EMR and hospital EMR.
- Performs clerical/administrative responsibilities such as filing and/or scanning patient medical records, obtain lab/x-ray reports, hospital notes, and referral information.
- Responsible for taking clinic inventory and completing
- Sorts and distributes clinic mail and medical records to the appropriate clinic personnel.
- High school diploma or GED and completion of a Medical Assistant Training program through an accredited institution.
- Two years of relevant experience.
- Current certification as a Medical Assistant through an accredited professional organization (AAMA, AMT, ARMA, NCCT, NAHP, NHA, NAHP, AMCA, or NRMA).
- Experience in a Plastic Surgery setting.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.