Research Compliance Specialist
University Program Specialist
Research Compliance Specialist
Research and Integrity - 31140
Primary Purpose of Organizational Unit
The Research Integrity Office ( RIO ) is a service unit within Research & Innovation responsible for the oversight of several compliance programs. RIO provides regulatory and policy guidance and compliance tracking on human and live, vertebrate animal research subject projects (Institutional Review Board – IRB and Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee – IACUC ), annual and project-specific conflicts of interest ( COI ) and external professional activity for pay ( EPAP ) disclosures, export control (EC) regulations, and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act ( HIPAA ) requirements. RIO also provides training on the responsible conduct of research ( RCR ) and tracks compliance with RCR requirements. This office is designed to serve all faculty, student and staff needs regarding research ethics, and provides oversight on funded and unfunded projects and programs that involve regulated activities.
Research Services - 31100
The University of North Carolina Wilmington, the state’s coastal university, is dedicated to the integration of teaching, mentoring, research and service. Widely acknowledged for its world-class faculty and staff and continuously recognized at a national level for scholarly excellence and affordability, UNCW offers a powerful academic experience that stimulates creative inquiry and critical thinking and a community rich in diversity, inclusion and global perspectives.
A public institution with nearly 18,000 students, UNCW offers a full range of baccalaureate- and graduate-level programs, as well as doctoral degrees in educational leadership, marine biology, nursing practice and psychology; and many distance learning options, including clinical research, an accelerated RN-to- BSN program, an Executive M.B.A. program structured for working professionals, and the nation’s only bachelor’s degree program focused on coastal engineering.
The university’s efforts to advance research and scholarly activities have earned UNCW the elevated designation of “Doctoral Universities: High Research Activity” institution (R2 University) by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
UNCW has been part of the University of North Carolina System since 1969.
Location of Workplace
Main UNCW Campus
Brief Summary of Work for this Position
This is a time-limited, 30 hour per week position.
The primary responsibilities of the Research Compliance Specialist position are to assist in developing a HIPAA compliance and training program and conduct reporting and compliance tracking for all RIO programs. Specifically, the position will help to implement new policies, procedures and training strategy for HIPAA compliance, track international travel for export control compliance, conduct conflict of interest compliance tracking, obtain approvals on committee meeting minutes, create reports for all compliance programs handled by the RIO office, and will be responsible for RIO’s website management.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
-Bachelor’s degree and one year of experience related to the area of assignment; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
-All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
Preferred education, professional skills and experience
- Completion of training programs pertaining to the protection of human subjects, health information and/or other related research integrity topics, preferably through the CITI Program
- Experience in university research administration in a university setting
- Experience administering a HIPAA compliance program in a university setting
- Experience using UNC research administration systems such as the UNC systems ( IRBIS, AIR and RAMSeS) and/or InfoEd strongly preferred
-Experience using MS Teams, Sharepoint, Zoom, DocuSign, Info Ready and/or Cascade programs
- Knowledge of research integrity programs and research ethics
- Ability to understand complex concepts and explain them verbally and in writing in understandable terms to a wide variety of customers
- Ability to provide customers with specific references to UNCW policy or regulations
- Ability to provide thorough, collegial, and timely responses to faculty, staff and student researcher inquiries related to research integrity programs
- Ability to build positive relationships with campus community
- Ability to refer customers to helpful resources as appropriate
- High level of skill using Microsoft Office products
- Ability to edit and update program webpages
Required Certifications or licensure
$32,735 - $32,735
.75 FTE (30 hours per week)
Months Per Year
Monday - Friday (Must be available to work on any day)
8:00AM - 5:00PM (Must be available to work within these hours any day
Type of Position
Anticipated Ending Date if Time-Limited
Job Posting Date
Posting Close Date
Special Notes to Applicants
This position is time-limited with the possibility of continuation pending availability of funds and department need.
PLEASE NOTE : This posting will close at 11:59PM on the posted closing date. To receive full consideration, please be sure you have fully completed the entire application before you apply for this position. Failure to answer all required questions will cause the system to disqualify your application.
For more info/to apply visit http://jobs.uncw.edu. Applications must be submitted through the online application system to be considered.
You will be required to attach a cover letter and resume to successfully apply for this position. To receive full consideration, please be sure you have completed the ‘Work History’ section of the application before you apply for this position.
This position is being recruited at the Journey level. If no applicants apply who meet the required competency and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.
At the University of North Carolina at Wilmington ( UNCW ), our culture reflects our values of inclusion, diversity, globalization, ethics and integrity and innovation and we are committed to providing equality of educational and employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, sex (such as gender, gender identity, marital status, childbirth, and pregnancy), age, color, national origin (including ethnicity), religion, disability, sexual orientation, political affiliation, veteran status, military service member status, genetic information, or relationship to other university constituents – except where sex, age, or ability represent bona fide educational or occupational qualifications or where marital status is a statutorily established eligibility criterion for State funded employee benefit programs. UNCW believes that embracing the unique contributions of our faculty, staff and students is critical to our success and paramount in being recognized for our global mindset.
External Link to Posting
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vita
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity with UNC Wilmington
- UNCW Website
- UNCW Facebook Page
- UNCW Linkedin Page
- UNCW Twitter Account
- UNCW Employee Referral
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Inside Higher Ed
- North Carolina Job Network
- Women In Higher Education
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Research Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Grants & Contracts Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington