Instructor in Humanities (pref. Comm or English) and Director of Debate Program
This is a blended position, allowing the successful applicant to teach within an academic department (reporting to the department Chair), while also serving as Director of Debate (reporting to the Dean/Associate Dean of Arts and Sciences). As Instructor, the successful applicant will teach a 2/2 load within their discipline. As Director of Debate, they will provide leadership, operational oversight, instruction, and supervision for the intercollegiate competitive debate program, while supporting the other areas of the LSU Shreveport (LSUS) Forum. This is a 9-month, non-tenure track, renewable position.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Evidence of organizational, planning, teamwork, and administrative skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice, diversity, equity and inclusion, and an ability to work with diverse populations.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- A 2/2 teaching load as Instructor in a Humanities discipline (Communications or English preferred), plus a 1/1 teaching load as Director of Debate; total teaching commitment 3/3.
- Administers Intercollegiate Debate squad meetings, assesses student needs, and ensures that current and future debating practices are aligned with the mission of LSUS.
- Plans tournament travel and serves as a traveling coach.
- Manages the finances of the Debate Program; works with the Dean and/or Associate Dean to establish competitive Debate Program scheduling and budget priorities.
- Actively recruits for the Debate Program and supports the participation of students from historically underserved communities.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- A Master's degree in a Humanities discipline (Communications or English preferred).
- Experience in coaching debate, preferably at intercollegiate level.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Doctoral degree in a Humanities discipline.
- Budget management experience.
- A current and valid driver’s license.
- Demonstrated commitment to developing new opportunities for debate beyond tournaments hosted by the IPDA and other traditional debate organizations.WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL
- Work is generally performed in an office environment with frequent interruptions and irregularities in the work schedule. Working hours may vary and evening or weekend work is frequently required.
Please send a letter of application describing your qualifications, a statement of your teaching philosophy as it pertains to online teaching, and a current resume. Please email these materials to CollegeOfArtsAndSciences@lsus.edu.
LSUS is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The University actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities. LSUS is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Non-Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Caspiana
- Communications Non-Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Caspiana
- Other Communications Non-Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Caspiana
- Speech & Rhetoric Non-Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Caspiana