Job Vacancy Announcement
College Police and Emergency Management
Full Time or Part Time
Hiring Salary Range
Fixed Term/Tenure Track (Faculty Only)
Regular or Temporary
Job Description Summary
Responsible for performing a variety of supervisory field and
administrative duties, with responsibility for the daily
supervision of campus law enforcement operations on an assigned
- One to two years of college credit or a equivalent formal
training in related field.
- Combination of education and related experience for a total of
four to five years.
- Must be certified by the Maryland Police & Correctional
Training Commissions ( MPCTC ) or eligible for certification within
12 months of hire date by receiving approval from MPCTC to complete
the mandated 240 hours for compared compliance. To qualify for
certification under compared compliance, you must have completed a
recognized law enforcement training academy consisting of 1104
hours of classroom instruction or have been a former certified
police officer who has been absent from law enforcement for no more
than three but less than five years.
- We are a dual certified agency. You must be eligible to receive
the Special Police Commission and Maryland State Police ( MSP )
Handgun Permit through Maryland State Police after the background
- All certifications must be obtained within 1 year after being
- Must complete MPCTC training program for first line supervision
within one year of hire date.
- Must complete a comprehensive background screen such as:
interview, background investigation, polygraph, psychological
screening, medical, drug, and MSP .
CRITERIA : The following criteria, which are not the sole criteria
used in the final hiring decision, will be used to review the
applications of those persons who meet the stated minimum
qualifications and to select those qualified applicants who will be
interviewed. Other information and observations made during the
interview process may be considered in the selection process.
Resume/CV and cover letter are required with the application.
Please ensure that your documents address the criteria listed below
for this position.
- Provides daily supervision of all personnel assigned to his/her
- Ensures that all police and support personnel comply with
rules, regulations, special and general orders.
- Supervise and evaluate police officers, non-sworn employees,
and contract security officers as assigned.
- Report infractions of rules to superiors and recommend
- Review and approve all police reports generated by shift
personnel, ensuring that required information is accurate.
- Supervise and assist subordinates in properly administering
traffic citations, incidents and arrest reports.
- Performs routine public safety functions such as patrolling the
campus parking areas, streets and buildings.
- Issues college and state citations for all parking and moving
- Conducts investigations, makes arrests, and testifies in
- Prepares factual material for presentation and submit written
reports as required.
- Maintains the security of all college buildings and equipment
during his/her shift.
- Maintains the protection of all faculty, staff, students and
visitors on campus during his/her shift.
- Prepares annual performance appraisals for subordinate
- Responsible for participating in the training of newly
appointed officers Performs related duties as assigned.
- Performs related work as required.
Is Background Check Required?
- Must meet and maintain all MPCTC standards for a certified
- Must successfully complete MPCTC First Line Supervisory
Training Course within 12 months from date of appointment
- Must be willing and able to work flexible day, evening, night,
weekend and/or holidays shifts, and be willing and able to work
required overtime for College-sponsored events, college
registration, both on campus and extension centers.
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written
- As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present
acceptable documentation showing your identity and that you are a
U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
Is the incumbent responsible for working with minor children or
directly engaging with minor children on campus?
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Background Check Statement
Prince George’s Community College is committed to providing a safe
campus community. PGCC conducts background investigations for
applicants being considered for employment. College Police
applicants will be required to complete a comprehensive background
screen such as; background investigation, polygraph, psychological
screening, medical, drug, and Maryland State
Special Instructions to Applicants
Prince George’s Community College values the safety of its
students, faculty, and staff. As part of that commitment, the
College has announced effective October 21, 2021, all students,
faculty, and staff must be vaccinated against COVID -19 or a valid
exemption and tested for the virus weekly. As a prospective or new
employee, you will be required to comply with this mandate and all
the necessary safety protocols, including wearing a mask. Please
direct your questions related to the vaccination, testing, mask
mandates, and requirements for exemptions to VMPO@pgcc.edu .
; you will receive an email
acknowledging receipt of your application, upon which time no
further communication occurs unless selected for an interview or
the position is filled. If recommended for hire, communication is
immediately sent to your references listed on your application.
Also, you will receive an email notification from HireRight
requesting you to submit authorization to complete a background
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Which of the following best describes your level of completed
education? (Education details must be included in your
- Master's Degree or above from an accredited
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college/university
- Associate's Degree from an accredited college/university
- One to two years of college credit (30 credit hours is
equivalent to one year)
- Less than 30 credits from an accredited college/university
- High School Diploma or GED
- None of the above
- * Do you have at least five years (full-time) related
experience as specified for this position? See minimum
qualifications. Application and resume must show evidence of
- * Briefly describe your experience referenced in the previous
question. Do not enter 'See Resume'
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please describe in detail the extent of your supervisory
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- HigherEd Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Personal Referral
- PGCC Website
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook)
- The Chronicle of Higher Ed
- The Washington Post
- Other: Please indicate below
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity? If you
selected 'Other' please indicate source:
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3