Extension Agent I - III - 4-H Youth Development (69903)
The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences is committed to creating an environment that affirms diversity across a variety of dimensions, including ability, class, ethnicity/race, gender identity and expression. We particularly welcome applicants who can contribute to such an environment through their scholarship, teaching, mentoring, and professional service. We strongly encourage historically underrepresented groups to apply.
If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352-392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800-955-8771 (TDD) or visit Accessibility at UF .
The Univ. of Florida (UF) is a Land Grant institution with core values of unique purpose, excellence, integrity, collaboration and partnership, lifelong learning, diversity, responsiveness, innovation, communication, and global reach. IFAS employs more than 2,000 faculty and staff statewide. IFAS Extension employs 375 Extension Agents and has an office in each of Florida’s 67 counties.
Our mission in the Florida Cooperative Extension Service is to partner with communities to provide quality, relevant education and research-based expertise to foster healthy people, a healthy environment, and a healthy economy. We are the resource that helps educate Floridians to address issues related to agriculture, horticulture, natural resources, youth development, families and communities.
We hire the best. Diverse views and experience make us strong. We are looking for candidates with both academic and people skills who work well in teams, honor their commitments, innovate in a rapidly changing world, and believe in inclusion. Working for Florida Cooperative Extension will allow you to make a positive impact in your community as you help shape future generations, growing your career while earning a competitive salary and great benefits.
We seek candidates with both academic and people skills who work well in teams, honor their commitments, and innovate in a rapidly changing world. As a 4-H Extension Agent, you will work for UF/IFAS Extension and Sumter County. We are looking for an individual that is self-starting, energetic, and team-oriented whose educational responsibilities include emphasis on positive development of youth aged 5 to 18 through 4-H projects in agriculture and the national 4-H priorities of civic engagement (leadership and citizenship), healthy living, and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics). The right candidate will also be able to manage a volunteer system that supports the development and operation of the Sumter County 4-H program. You will demonstrate excellent external and internal customer service and will respond to client needs in a timely and professional manner. Your office will be located at the UF/IFAS Extension Sumter County Office in Bushnell.
What you will do:
- Work as part of a team with local citizens, county/state Extension colleagues, agencies, and organizations that are concerned with the needs and well-being of area youth.
- Develop, sustain, and monitor the effectiveness of a volunteer system to staff the 4-H program including recruitment, volunteer development, and evaluations/recognition in support of the development and operation of the Sumter County 4-H program.
- Maintain and lead an effective and functional county 4-H Association to guide program direction and represent community needs. (The 4-H Association could also serve as an advisory committee.)
- Deliver youth development programs through community clubs, special interest clubs, school enrichment, day and residential camping, and competitive events.
- Manage all program components including policies, enrollments and records, risk management, communications, and educational materials.
- Use a needs assessment to target programs reflecting the county’s population, diversity, and unique educational needs.
- Possess or develop an area of expertise to share across county lines.
- Produce creative works (including presentations, posters, website development, social media, and videos). Write non-technical, people and reader-friendly publications, and participate in professional societies.
- Seek and manage financial resources to support 4-H programming and ensure all financial policies are followed as instructed by UF/IFAS Extension guidelines.
- Follow all county, UF, and IFAS Extension policies regarding affirmative action, program development, and parity.
- Ensure that all Florida 4-H youth protection policies are adhered to including screening and training all 4-H volunteers.
- Complete an annual plan of work and report of accomplishment (including details describing your Extension program).
- Occasionally assume other responsibilities that benefit the total Extension program as assigned by the County Extension Director and/or the District Extension Director.
- Assist CED in quarterly progress of the 4-H Extension program assistant.
Employment is contingent on the results of a national background check and drug screening.
Extension is a partnership between state, federal, and county governments to provide scientific knowledge and expertise to the public. As such, all partners are involved in the supervision of the office and contribute to the salary and support resources. The primary goal of Extension is to disseminate the latest knowledge and applicable technologies in agriculture, human and natural resources, and the life sciences in order to sustain and enhance the quality of human life. The UF/IFAS mission is accomplished through Extension faculty members, scientists, educators, administrative staff, and volunteers working cohesively throughout Florida’s 67 counties.
Candidates will be reviewed as applications are received, but please be aware that interviews might not be scheduled until 4 to 6 weeks after the position closing date. Are you a good match? Apply today!
What you will bring (required):
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in youth development, animal science, education, community development/sociology, non-profit leadership, agriculture, or a closely related field. We will accept applicants without a bachelor’s degree if the degree will be earned by May, 2021. If hired solely with a bachelor’s degree, we want you to advance your career by making at least 50% progress towards obtaining your master’s degree within the first 6 years of employment.
- Strong oral and written interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and balance diverse responsibilities.
- A commitment to customer service and inclusion, diversity, equity, and access (IDEA) guidelines of UF/IFAS Extension.
- Ability to possess (or be able to obtain) a Florida driver’s license.
- Flexibility with working hours; willingness to work irregular hours, including evenings, weekends and overnight travel.
What you will bring (preferred):
- A master’s degree.
- Experience creating educational curricula, developing instructional materials, and applying teaching methods appropriate for youth.
- Expertise in getting groups to work together to achieve a goal, managing competing priorities, and adaptability to handle unexpected situations.
- Experience working in multi-cultural settings.
- Experience in marketing, teaching, and evaluating educational programs.
- Experience working with and managing volunteers.
- Experience using a variety of educational methods including technology-enhanced and technology-based instruction to reach diverse audiences.
- Experience obtaining extramural funding.
- Excellent organizational skills and good record-keeping techniques.
Apply at http://apply.interfolio.com/83736 by 11:59 p.m. (Eastern) of the posting end date, and attach:
- Cover letter that describes how your experience and qualifications have prepared you for this position
- Résumé or Curriculum vitae
- Unofficial copies of all transcripts and/or coursework of your academic degrees
The following documents are also required and may either be submitted through the above link at the time of application, or sent separately to our office (below).
- Current and Previous Employment Form (located at https://hr.ifas.ufl.edu/resources/form-index/current-and-previous-employment-form/ ).
- A minimum of 3 reference rating forms (located at http://hr.ifas.ufl.edu/assets/pdf/forms/ref_form.pdf ) from your professional/academic references. Reference forms will be kept on file for 1 year and will be automatically used with any of our extension agent positions you apply for during that time.
Reference rating forms and unofficial transcripts not submitted at the time of application should be submitted/postmarked by the next business day after the position’s closing date. They may be submitted to:
Ms. Dana LeCuyer
UF IFAS Human Resources
Faculty Recruitment and Hiring
P O Box 110281
Gainesville, FL 32611-0281
Fax: (352) 392-3226
Selected candidate will be required to provide an official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be considered “official” if a designation of “Issued to Student” is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) .
If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352-392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800-955-8771 (TDD).
Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the US. Searches are conducted in accordance with Florida’s Sunshine Law.
The University of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff. The University and greater Gainesville community enjoy a diversity of cultural events, restaurants, year-round outdoor recreational activities, and social opportunities.
The University of Florida is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Bushnell
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Bushnell
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Bushnell
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Bushnell
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Bushnell