Part-Time Instructor of Phlebotomy
Posting Number: 06001811 Position Title: Part-Time Instructor of Phlebotomy Posting Date: 01/29/2021 Closing Date: Open Until Filled (notes): Length of Position: Contracts are on a term-by-term basis Anticipated Start Date:
As soon as possible
Position Type/Employee Class: Part-Time Instructor FTE: Salary Level: Part Time Instructor Starting Pay Range $616 per load unit Hours per Week: depending on class schedule Work Schedule: Varies per term Days of the Week: Varies per term Job Summary/Purpose:
To provide instruction in the phlebotomy course. Part-time instructors direct student discussion and evaluate student performance in the classroom.
Terms of Employment:
• This is a part-time (< .50 FTE ) non-benefited position, hired on a term-by-term basis. Hours of work may include evening or weekend teaching assignments.
• Part-Time Faculty compensation begins at Step 1 / $616 per load unit (LU).
• Part-Time Faculty positions are not represented by the Faculty Forum Collective Bargaining Agreement.
• May include travel throughout the College district.
• Official transcripts are required upon hire. Applicants anticipating Degree completion must supply a letter from his/her university stating the degree title and that the degree will be granted by that date.
• COCC employees must work and reside in the state of Oregon at the time their work is being performed.
• The College is NOT able to support Visa applications for this position. Applicants must already be eligible to work in the United States to be considered for this position.
• Upon hire, must pass criminal background check and/or driving history; only information relevant to the position will be considered.
1. Provide instruction in Phlebotomy, this includes lecturing and guiding in classroom activities, providing individual conference time to guide and evaluate student progress. Teaching assignments may include courses taught during the day and/or evening, delivered in-person (as conditions allow) or online, synchronously, or asynchronously.
2. Utilize resources, including technological resources such as a Learning Management System, to support teaching activities as appropriate.
3. Participate in collaborative efforts related to curriculum development and the evaluation of courses and academic programs.
4. Perform other essential duties and tasks relevant to part-time instructor teaching assignments, as assigned.
Marginal Job Functions
1. Cooperate with other College personnel to assist students with career planning, job placement, and follow-up studies.
2. Act as a resource person for students.
3. Work with appropriate College personnel to write proposals for program funds.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Individuals must possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
1. Thorough knowledge in the field of phlebotomy or closely related medical field.
2. Knowledge of teaching and instruction of various audiences and group dynamics.
3. Visual ability, corrected, to enable the instructor to observe, direct, and supervise students in classroom situations.
4. Familiarity with and ability to operate or oversee the operation of audio-visual equipment, including overhead projectors, film, sound systems, video, television, interactive video, and audio equipment including computer-controlled mixed media presentations.
5. Ability to operate or oversee the operation of computers and other written materials.
6. Ability to orally communicate effectively with others, using the English language, with or without the use of an interpreter.
7. Ability to communicate effectively in writing, using the English language, with or without the use of auxiliary aids or services.
8. Ability to review, understand and apply concepts presented in training programs, conferences, and/or professional literature.
9. Ability to work with medical assisting and Allied Health faculty and other COCC staff at all levels.
10. Ability/skills to competently serve students from a variety of backgrounds, respecting cultural and socio-economic differences.
11. Willingness to travel and/or teach at various hours and locations, as required.
Physical Demands and Other Ergonomic Requirements:
Ability to work in classroom, office, and/or virtual environments using computers, whiteboards, projectors, and other basic office equipment. Persons in this position may be exposed to blood or other potentially infectious materials. All individuals are required to be able to perform the essential functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
It is the policy of Central Oregon Community College that there will be no discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, disability, sex, marital status, national origin, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, or any of the classes protected under Federal and State statutes in any education program, activities, or employment. Persons having questions about equal opportunity and nondiscrimination should contact the Equal Employment Officer, c/o COCC’s Human Resources office, 541.383.7216.
In support of COCC’s EEO statement, employees with bilingual fluency in English and Spanish is considered a plus, along with experience working in a diverse multicultural setting.
1. Requires Phlebotomy certification/license or other training such as (MD, DO, RN, BSN, CMA )
2, Willingness and ability to travel to teach at any college location in Central Oregon
1. College Level teaching experience
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Part-time instructor pools are posted for the academic year to obtain applications from those interested in teaching part-time as a non-benefited instructor, on a term-by-term basis. Positions may not necessarily be available at the time you apply. Your online application will remain active for consideration throughout the length of the posting unless you are notified otherwise.
COCC is not able to support work visas for this position. Candidates must be able to work in the United States at time of employment.
Note that you will be required to upload/create the required documents indicated in this posting at the time you apply. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at application. It is the responsibility of the applicant to upload all required documents, including transcript(s). If you have questions please contact HR at 541-383-7216.
Is a Criminal History Check required? Yes Is a Credit History Check Required? No Open Until Filled Yes Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Choose your highest level of education:
- No High School Diploma or GED
- High School Diploma or GED
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree in Progress
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree in Progress
- Masters Degree
- Ph.D. in Progress
- Other Doctorate Level Degree
- * How many years of COLLEGE LEVEL teaching experience do you
- Less than 1 year
- 1-2 years
- 2-3 years
- 3 years
- More than 3 years
- * COCC has campuses in Bend, Prineville, Redmond, and Madras.
Please indicate in which locations you are willing to teach.
(Open Ended Question)
- * COCC employees must work and reside in the state of Oregon at
the time their work is being performed. Are you, or will you be
residing in the state of Oregon by the start date of this position?
- * The College is NOT able to support Visa applications for this
position. Applicants must already be eligible to work in the United
States to be considered for this position. Are you, or will you be
eligible to work in the US by the start date of the position?
- The College recognizes the value of skills and knowledge gained
outside of formal higher education and paid employment. Applicants
who do not meet minimum qualifications, but present other
qualifications or experience equivalent to those required will be
considered and are encouraged to apply. There may be other
requirements where an equivalency is acceptable. Please be aware
that applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements and do not
provide an equivalency statement will not be selected for an
interview. Your statement should make clear the requirement you are
addressing. Example: The position requires a Master’s degree. You
have a Bachelor’s degree, additional applicable education, and work
experience that when combined you believe is equivalent to the
Master’s degree requirement. Please provide a clear statement why
you believe this combined education and experience is equivalent to
a Master’s degree.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you a U.S. military veteran? (COCC provides qualifying
veterans and disabled veterans with preference in employment. To
receive veterans’ preference in this recruitment process, you must
upload your DD214 and DD215 (if applicable) form(s) as supporting
documentation. You will have the opportunity to upload the document
in the next step of this application process.)
- Yes, I am a veteran
- No, I am not a veteran
- If you have identified yourself as a qualified veteran or
disabled veteran by submitting your DD214 and DD215 (if applicable)
form(s) as proof of veteran status, please describe any
transferable skills earned during your military service that you
feel relate to the requirements/preferences of this position.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Background checks are required for all employees of COCC.
Should an offer of employment be made to you and accepted by you,
you will receive an email from COCC / HireRight Screening
requesting your consent and basic information to complete the
check. The offer of employment will be conditional upon
satisfactory completion of the criminal background check. Confirmed
findings on a criminal background check will not automatically
disqualify you from being hired into a position. Results are
evaluated on a case-by-case basis, considering the job
responsibilities and other risk factors. Additional information
regarding COCC’s criminal history check policy can be found online
in the General Procedures Manual, Section HR-2-1. Please indicate
here if you will provide consent to the criminal history check when
requested by the College:
- Yes, I will provide my consent when requested
- No, I will not provide my consent when requested
- Cover Letter
- College Transcript 1 (unofficial)
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3
- College Transcript 2 (unofficial)
- College Transcript 3 (unofficial)
- College Transcript 4 (unofficial)
- US Military DD 214
- Other Document 1
- Other Document 2
- Other Document 3
- Other Document 4
- Other Document 5
- Teaching Philosophy/Evidence of Teaching Potential
- Placement File, if applicable