Associate Chair for Education
Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Position Number F67040 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Teaching and Research Faculty Rank Open Working Title Associate Chair for Education School/Unit School of Medicine Department Internal Medicine Number of Months 12 Tenure Status Non-Tenure Eligible Grant funded position? No
Mission or Goal of Unit
To provide excellent, evidence-based, efficient patient care, as well as effective supervision, teaching, and mentoring of Internal Medicine housestaff and students.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
The Department of Internal Medicine is seeking a candidate for Associate Chair for Education. The successful candidate will have protected time in order to provide oversight of undergraduate and graduate education initiatives across the Department of Internal Medicine. As such, this position is responsible for the oversight of all training programs, including the core residency program and subspecialty training programs. Educational initiatives span the spectrum of activities from UME courses and clerkships to GME programs and Internal Medicine Grand Rounds.
The Associate Chair for Education will receive 50% time to provide and oversee, support, and mentor: the clerkship director, 2 assistant directors, the acting internship director, the residency program director, 10 associate directors, 5 chief residents, 20 fellowship directors and 12 staff members. This position will also support the 11 Divisions and approximately 300 faculty in the Department. This oversight provides structure, collaboration, innovation and cooperation across the continuum of medical education. The Associate Chair for Education ultimately ensures that the Department is compliant with all accreditation requirements. The successful candidate will also be responsible for medical education research and scholarship oversight in the Department of Internal Medicine The Office of Educational Affairs has been highly successful in publishing and presenting innovative works through a variety of conferences and publications.
• Supervise and teach learners (including medical students, interns, residents, and fellows) in both inpatient and outpatient venues as appropriate by specialty
• Model effective teaching skills and continually develop as a teacher for learners at all levels
• Complete required evaluations of learners in a timely manner—including but not limited to written and verbal feedback
• Participate in other learning activities such as morning report, core conference, and other formal educational programs for undergraduate and post-graduate learners
• Participate in clinical and educational research, according to skills, interest, and funding (research opportunities may include performance improvement initiatives or formal extramurally funded investigations)
• Work with institutional staff and administration to attain the strategic objectives of VCU Health System, including patient safety, patient and other customer satisfaction, maintenance and enhancement of public perception, and fiscal health
• Provide direct clinical care to ambulatory patients and hospitalized patients, with the amount of time spent in the inpatient and outpatient venues determined by mutual agreement with the Division Chair
• Participate in night and weekend on-call duties as shared shared among Division faculty
• Comply in a timely manner with all institutional policies for professional work, including credentialing, documentation, and billing
• Work effectively with other members of the extended inter-professional team
• Oversee, support, and mentor: the clerkship director, 2 assistant directors, the acting internship director, the residency program director, 10 associate directors, 5 chief residents, 20 fellowship directors and 12 staff members
• Ensure that the Department is compliant with all accreditation requirements
• Responsible for medical education research and scholarship oversight in the Department of Internal Medicine
• MD or equivalent
• Board certification or eligibility in Internal Medicine
• Interest in teaching in an academic setting
• Interest in furthering the academic mission of the Division
• Demonstrated ability to provide effective communication, both verbal and written
• Strong interpersonal skills and excellence in patient care and teaching
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU
• Experience as a program director or chair of an education program within an academic medical center
• Experience in leading and supervising a diverse team
• Academic rank of Associate Professor or higher
Date Posted 02/02/2021 Open Until Filled Yes Application Deadline Date Proposed Hire Date 07/01/2021 Type of Search National Application Process/Additional Information
Interested candidates should apply online at https://www.vcujobs.com.
As a preeminent national, urban, public research university and academic health center, Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to organizational diversity, equity and inclusion – an environment where all can thrive in their pursuit of excellence.
Applicants are requested to submit a Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (typically between 150-300 words) providing your career aspirations and contributions toward promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Through this statement, you can share how your lived experiences; and past, present, and future academic and professional activities have or will contribute to VCU’s mission of promoting equity and inclusion.
Note: Examples include working with others to further the goals of equity and inclusion; leading in any capacity that tangibly promotes an environment where diversity is welcomed, fostered, and celebrated; creative activity, research and scholarship that promotes equity and parity; teaching and mentoring students, and/or engaging with faculty and/or staff from traditionally underrepresented groups to create a positive and successful organizational experience.
Posted Salary Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/103152 Diversity Statement Information For more information on diversity statements, including guidelines, please click here . Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have experience as a program director or chair of an
education program within an academic medical center?
- * Do you have board certification or eligibility in Internal
- * Do you have an academic rank of Associate Professor or
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Diversity Statement (Required for all Faculty)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
- Reference Letter - 1
- Reference Letter - 2
- Reference Letter - 3