Academic Advisor, STEM
Posting Number NC00140P Quick Link for Position https://jobs.uafs.edu/postings/1745 Working Title Academic Advisor, STEM Position Number 21-21-0043 Department College of STEM - Dean's Office About the University
For more than 6,000 students each semester, the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith offers a dynamic and diverse learning community with a student-centered approach focused on the success of the individual. Small class sizes combine with innovative, hands-on learning and research experiences alongside expert faculty to ensure students receive a future-focused education at the most affordable tuition rate in the state. The university has undergone significant changes since its founding in 1928 and now offers 51 bachelor’s and associate degrees, two master’s degrees, and 36 certificate programs, all aimed at preparing students for success in the global workforce. UAFS is one of 21 academic institutions and affiliates governed by the University of Arkansas System.
The second-largest city in the state, Fort Smith is located on the Arkansas-Oklahoma border in the heart of the Arkansas River Valley. Established in 1817 as a frontier military post, Fort Smith is now a vibrant and growing city featuring a variety of cultural activities and entertainment options, including a thriving downtown arts and entertainment district. Outdoors enthusiasts will appreciate the Natural State’s plentiful trails, mountains, forests, parks, and waterways, both within city limits and throughout the surrounding area. The city is also within easy driving distance of Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, and Memphis.
The UAFS campus is comprised of 77 buildings and facilities located on 170 beautifully manicured acres and crowned with the Donald W. Reynolds Campus Plaza, Tower, and Campus Green. Students who choose to live on campus may do so in one of two residence hall complexes, complete with a full-service dining center, or the on-campus apartment complex for married students and upperclassmen. Campus involvement is encouraged by participation in more than 100 registered student organizations, which includes academic societies, a dynamic Greek life system, intramural sports, and cultural/special interest groups. The UAFS Lions compete in NCAA Division II Lonestar Conference in men’s baseball, women’s volleyball, and men’s and women’s basketball, golf, cross country, and tennis.
About the College / Department Position Summary
Responsible for assisting with academic advising, career advising and planning; registration; graduation application process; special events; recruitment and retention functions; collecting, analyzing and presenting student outcome data for the College of STEM ; providing advising-related professional development for STEM faculty. The position reports to the Dean of the College of STEM .
Summary of Job Duties
• Complete diverse recruitment and retention tasks.
• Provides students with information on programs and course selection, while providing career counseling and academic advising assistance.
• Assist with registration, graduation applications and requirements.
• Assist with special events.
• Collaborates with college leadership in student selection, admission, persistence, and progression to degree.
• Collaborates with counterparts in the Freshman Advising Center.
• Collaborates with the Offices of Enrollment Management and Financial Aid.
• Develops effective working relationships within the college, on the UAFS campus and with external stakeholders.
• Manage data collection for the various programs within the College and assist with assessment, research, reports, and special projects.
• Maintain student records.
• Conduct online advising with distance learners.
• Review academic standing of students for possible intervention, support, and referrals.
• Help to design and coordinate training for faculty advisors.
• Manage faculty advising rosters and assign/reassign students to faculty advisors.
• Promote retention through innovative programming.
• Promote and maintain a working knowledge of current career exploration and employment trends by participating in professional workshops and organizations. Participate in professional development for academic advisors.
• Serve as a standing member of the UAFS Academic Advising Council.
• Maintains a positive, professional work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner to foster teamwork and to provide leadership for subordinates.
• Maintains regular and prompt attendance.
• Help to develop and update online resources and communication, and overall web presence for the College of STEM advising presence
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in STEM, education, psychology, social work, business, or other related field.
• Two to three years of experience in academic advising, student services, as an academic coach, or other related experience.
• Experience with Banner/Navigate is a plus.
• Other job related education and/or experience may be substituted for part of these requirements.
Please ensure that all relevant application materials include details addressing the minimum qualifications. Applicants not meeting the minimum qualifications will be disqualified from consideration.
License(s)/Certifications Preferred Qualifications
• Master’s degree.
• Experience in academic advising in higher education.
• Experience with presentations and workshops.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
To perform the job successfully, the following competencies are required for the essential functions of this position:
• Strong administrative and management skills.
• Ability to work in a technological environment demonstrating proficiency in word processing, spreadsheets, as well as Banner applications.
• Problem solving – Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner, and to gather and analyze information skillfully.
• Interpersonal skills – Ability to maintain confidential information with absolute discretion in all matters. Ability to remain open to other ideas and try new things.
• Communication Skills – Ability to write and speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; professional group presentation skills; read and interpret written information. Ability to edit work for accuracy and thoroughness, and to monitor own work to ensure quality. Requires STRONG attention to detail.
• Planning/Organizing – Ability to prioritize and plan work activities; use time efficiently; and develop realistic action plans.
• Adaptability – Ability to adapt to changes in work environment, manage competing demands, and deal with frequent changes, delays, or unexpected events.
• Dependability – Ability to arrive at work on time consistently; follow instructions; respond to management direction; and solicit feedback to improve performance.
• Ability to disseminate educational and career information to groups and individuals
• Ability to work in a quality-focused service environment with excellent organizational skills, customer service and in a professional manner.
Special Job Dimensions
Work performed primarily in an office setting. Occasional travel and extended hours required. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly exhibits digital dexterity when entering data into computer. The employee frequently sits for extended periods of time, and occasionally stands and walks. Visual demands include close, relatively detailed vision when focusing on a computer screen. Employee regularly talks and hears. Employee occasionally bends and lifts items up to 10 pounds.
The office is open to the public from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Salary Mid 30's, Commensurate with education and experience Benefits
Competitive benefits package.
Background Check / Pre-Employment Screening
This position may be subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, sex offender registry check, financial history background check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background checks and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non- discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Does this position require a background check? Criminal Background Check and Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) Check. Position requires employee complete Arkansas Mandated Reporter training and Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) training prior to employment.
Open Date 02/03/2021 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
Open until filled. For full consideration, apply by February 23, 2021.
Anticipated start date EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas – Fort Smith is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, dedicated to attracting and supporting diverse student, faculty, and staff populations. The University welcomes applications without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
UA Fort Smith provides equal employment, admission, and educational opportunities without regard to race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, or gender identify. The University abides by all applicable employment laws.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, the University is committed to provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees with regard to recruitment, hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, training, fringe benefits and all other aspects of employment.
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial College Transcripts
- Proof of Veteran Status
- Unofficial College Transcripts - Additional 1
- Additional Document
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you understand that failure to complete the Employment
History section of the application will result in automatic
- * Did you complete the Employment History section of the
- * Do you understand that failure to upload your unofficial
transcript(s) may result in an incomplete application packet?
- * Did you upload your unofficial transcript(s)?
- * Have you ever been fired or asked to resign from a job?
- If yes, please describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you learn of this employment opportunity?
(Open Ended Question)