Senior Research Associate-VTTI
The Virginia Tech Transportation Institute (VTTI) seeks a qualified and ambitious engineering, human factors, or traffic safety professionals with a strong background in psychology, safety, and/or vehicle technology. The ideal candidate is an experienced researcher capable leading research projects and working collaboratively in multidisciplinary teams to improve transportation safety through cutting edge research. Research projects range from test track experiments using a single vehicle to largescale naturalistic driving studies that involve collecting data from hundreds of vehicles on public roadways. The candidate must be interested in working with heavy vehicles, including commercial trucks, transit buses, and motorcoaches. The candidate must also be interested in automation and learning how it impacts safety. The successful candidate will contribute to the conceptualization of research and proposal development with principal investigators. With guidance, the successful applicant will manage the day to day operations of research projects including: literature reviews, research design, research execution, data analysis, report writing, presentations, and publications. Experience with human factors research in transportation or related fields and expertise in statistical analyses is preferred. Proficiency with data collection and working knowledge of analysis software packages is desired. The applicant must be interested in improving transportation safety and be willing to work on multiple projects in a fast paced, demanding, and highly rewarding research environment. VTTI provides opportunities for professional advancement and a pay for performance structure.
Duties and responsibilities will include:
• Lead in the development of proposals and assist other senior researchers in the development of proposals
• Research and assist in the composition of literature reviews
• Lead and assist conceptualization and creation of work plans, protocols, and procedures
• Review and critique research plans and reports
• Coordinate and collaborate with subcontractors and interface with stakeholders
• Manipulate and analyze data
• Interpret results and develop robust conclusions
• Write research reports
• Present research findings
• Travel to research sites (requirement fluctuates but will generally be <20%)
Directions given and received:
• Communicate project objectives, provide feedback on proposed research plans, and manage project logistics as a principal investigator and project managers.
• May supervise or coordinate the work of other research associates, graduate research assistants, students, technicians, and research staff who assist in specific assignments.
• Must be able to work effectively independently as well as within multidisciplinary project teams as appropriate.
PhD in engineering or science with research experience in vehicle safety, or Masters degree in engineering or science with significant years of work experience in vehicle safety. Strong communication skills and organizational skills. Willingness to work in a fast paced, flexible research environment.
Previous experience with vehicle automation. Previous experience working with research human subjects/data. Previous experience in transportation research. Previous experience working with commercial trucks or buses.
Commensurate with Experience
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact (Lisa Eichelberger) at (firstname.lastname@example.org) during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: February 2, 2021
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Biotechnology & Bioengineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg