Head Wrestling Coach (716)
The Head Wrestling Coach is responsible for directing and managing all phases of the nationally competitive wrestling program within rules established by the NCAA. The Head Coach is responsible for the success and welfare of 25-35 undergraduate student-athletes. This position works under general supervision. Head Wrestling Coach supervises two full-time assistant coaches and one volunteer coach. Travel locally, regionally, and nationally for competition and potentially internationally for recruiting.
- Prepare, conduct, and coach men’s wrestling practices and matches to develop a quality wrestling program. Advise assistant coaches and student athletes in fundamentals and training procedures and supervise drills and workouts. Analyze strategies and communicate instructions to assist coaches and student athletes.
- Responsible for directing all recruiting efforts of program including identifying needs each year and identifying potential wrestlers to fill needs in order to attract quality student-athletes to the program. Responsible for program’s operation within NCAA rules. Responsible for working with compliance office to communicate with Admissions and Financial Aid Offices.
- Organize scouting information gathered by assistants from opponents’ matches to formulate a clear concise plan to be conveyed to student athletes.
- Assist academic counselors in monitoring student-athletes’ progress in school to ensure academic progress, retention, and degree completion. Establish fundamental importance of academic success and its positive/integral relationship with success of the wrestling program. Serve as counselor/motivator for student-athletes to ensure all wrestlers serve as model representatives of the university.
- Perform duties in conjunction with the offices of External Relations and Development as it relates to publicity, fundraising, and alumni relations for both the wrestling program and athletic department as a whole in order to promote the team and the university.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
- Team Leader/Consultant A
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Kinesiology, Recreation Administration, Physical Education, Athletic Training or Sports Management
- 5-8 years of relevant experience
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master's degree or equivalent in Kinesiology, Recreation Administration, Physical Education, Athletic Training or Sports Management
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Demonstrated knowledge and success in coaching at the collegiate or professional level is required.
- The ability to work within NCAA and EIWA regulations is required.
- Ability to work successfully with college student-athletes is required.
- Strong technical, organizational, and interpersonal skills required.
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology & Physical Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.