Assistant Professor of Information Technology
About SUNY Empire State College:
SUNY Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative, nontraditional teaching and learning.
SUNY Empire is part of the State University of New York system and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, SUNY Empire primarily serves working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at locations in every region of the state and abroad.
The college's 50-year commitment to flexible, individualized learning is represented by faculty mentors who guide students throughout their academic studies, the ability for students to build individualized degree plans, the award of credit for learning gained from life and work experience, world-class academic and social student-support communities, and flexible course delivery methods that meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college boasts more than 89,000 successful alumni and partners with nearly 16,000 students each year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
SUNY Empire State College is committed to creating a multicultural, inclusive academic and work environment. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We believe that a diverse faculty is critical to academic excellence and prepares students to live and work in an increasingly global world.
We are pleased to offer our employees a generous compensation and benefits package. We also offer professional-development activities for professionals and support staff, as well as faculty-development opportunities that encourage pursuit of disciplinary and community-focused research, scholarship of teaching and learning, and leadership development. Faculty-development opportunities include our annual Fall Academic Conference and the annual Institute on Mentoring, Teaching and Learning.
SUNY Empire State College seeks an Assistant Professor in Information Technology in the School of Graduate Studies, with a specialization in Cyber Security or Web Technologies for a tenure-track position to start in August 2021. The School offers a Master of Science in Information Technology (MSIT) with two concentration in Cyber Security as well as Web Technology. The college is a pioneer in mentoring adult learners, prior learning assessment and online learning. A highly distributed organization, Empire State College makes extensive use of technological applications for communication, teaching and learning, and administrative purposes. Central to the faculty role is helping adults from diverse cultural backgrounds design and complete degrees that meet their personal and professional goals.
Responsibilities include teaching Information Technology related courses in MSIT program such as Cyber Security, Web technology and general IT courses at graduate level during each semester. The faculty is also expected to be involved in publishing articles in quality peer reviewed journals and engage in service and student involvement opportunities at the department, college, and university levels.
- An earned Ph.D. in Information Technology, or a related applied computing discipline is required prior to the effective date of appointment.
- Candidates should have prior teaching experience, at least one-year online teaching experience, in Information Technology, Computer Technology, or a related applied computing discipline at the undergraduate or graduate level, which could have been as an adjunct, or full-time faculty.
- Evidence of research activities, such as peer-reviewed publications, in areas related to applied computing is required.
- Candidates should have prior engagement in activities, that provide service to their academic unit, College, University and the community.
- Experience mentoring and teaching non-traditional students from diverse backgrounds at the graduate level.
- Ability to teach a broad range of courses in the areas of Information technology, Cyber security and Web Technology.
- Candidates must demonstrate a commitment and ability to teach, mentor and work with a diverse student population.
- Demonstrated knowledge of adult learning and experience in online and blended teaching formats.
- Professional, consulting, or related experience in information technology.
- Research agenda in information technology or related areas.
- Proficiency in working with external partners for course development, marketing, cohort development, and other related purposes.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity issues in higher education.
- Skills in the design of online pedagogy.
- This position can be located at any of our regional locations across New York state.
- Some travel and overnights required
- Office hours (primarily online) will vary to accommodate student needs
Rank/Salary: Commensurate with qualifications.
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security
Applications Due By: Applications accepted until position is filled.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit the following documents, which are required for consideration by clicking on the APPLY NOW button:
- Cover letter
- Name and contact information of three references