Clinical Lab Technician- Scientist
Clinical Lab Technician- Scientist
Founded in 1898, Northeastern is a global research university and the recognized leader in experience-driven lifelong learning. Our world-renowned experiential approach empowers our students, faculty, alumni, and partners to create impact far beyond the confines of discipline, degree, and campus.
Our locations—in Boston; Charlotte, North Carolina; London; Portland, Maine; San Francisco; Seattle; Silicon Valley; Toronto; Vancouver; and the Massachusetts communities of Burlington and Nahant—are nodes in our growing global university system. Through this network, we expand opportunities for flexible, student-centered learning and collaborative, solutions-focused research.
Northeastern's comprehensive array of undergraduate and graduate programs— in a variety of on-campus and online formats—lead to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools. Among these, we offer more than 195 multi-discipline majors and degrees designed to prepare students for purposeful lives and careers.
About the Opportunity:
The Clinical Lab Technician will be a member of a 4-person testing team at the Life Sciences Testing Center (LSTC) on Northeastern University's Innovation Campus at Burlington. The LSTC will carry out COVID-19 testing for the Northeastern community. Under the guidance of the General Supervisor, as Testing Personnel as defined by CLIA the Scientist will be responsible for preforming only those tests that are authorized by the Laboratory Director and require a degree of skill commensurate with the individual's education, training, experience, and technical abilities. This is an 18-month term positions with the possibility of renewal depending on funding and business need.
- Analyze clinical laboratory specimens following standard
- Assess the adequacy and qualities of specimens submitted for
- Be capable of identifying problems that may adversely affect
test performance or reporting of test results. Correct the problems
or immediately notify the General Supervisor, Technical Supervisor,
Clinical Consultant or Laboratory Director
- Perform verification of proper specimen analyses vs.
- Perform quality control oversight to ensure accuracy of
- Validate test results through proper test parameters and QC
metrics follow through
- Perform calibration of specific lab instruments and document
- Adhere to established quality control policies, including the
documentation all QC activities, instrument calibrations and
- Identify issues with equipment that may affect the accuracy or
operation of testing equipment. Document all corrective action
- Execute and adhere to all safety protocol relating to a
laboratory, including handling of hazardous biological agents and
chemicals as well as potentially hazardous chemicals; Hazard
clean-up, as well as universal precautions and infection control
- Document all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate
from the laboratory's established performance specifications
- Train laboratory assistants and junior staff on proper
laboratory techniques/procedures related to clinical laboratory
- Follow the laboratory's established policies and procedures
whenever test systems are not within the laboratory's established
acceptable levels of performance
- Bachelor's Degree or above in Life Sciences, Biology,
Chemistry, or equivalent. (Masters preferred)
- Experience in a high-complexity diagnostic lab and dealing with
- Experience in and daily management of CLIA/CAP Accredited
- 1 year of laboratory experience minimum
- Manual bench PCR experience
- RNA extraction preferred
- NGS experience preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated good judgment and decision-making
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/879/cw/en-us/job/503342