Program Director, Physician Assistant Program
The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) invites applicants and nominations for the role of founding Program Director of the Physician Assistant (PA) Program. In this highly visible leadership role, the Program Director will lead and oversee the administration and guidance of the PA Program. The ideal candidate will be an innovative leader and excellent collaborator with the skills to develop a strong strategic plan and program curriculum.
The Program Director will be responsible for the overall operation of the PA Program, including responsibility for hiring and managing personnel and budgetary oversight. This role will have significant local, regional, and national exposure and the Program Director will lead the efforts to bring together health care professionals and organizations across the state/region.
Creation of the Physician Assistant Program
The Medical College of Wisconsin has set out to develop an innovative Physician Assistant Program that would draw talented and diverse experts to work in this field.
The PA Program will offer an interprofessional team approach that annually will prepare 25 students per class. The program will build upon education and training models that align with health care’s Triple Aim approach: improving the experience of care, improving the health of populations, and reducing per capita costs of health care. MCW will prepare physician assistants through the development of an innovative curriculum.
The main campus will be established at MCW’s Milwaukee campus with the development of experiential practice opportunities in sites throughout Wisconsin. It is anticipated that students will complete their didactic training at the Milwaukee campus and then, those interested in rural or urban community practice would complete their clinical rotations with partners across the state of Wisconsin. Potential PA program campus locations include Green Bay, Central Wisconsin (Wausau, Stevens Point, Marshfield, Eau Claire), and Milwaukee. Many factors will assist in evaluating the potential for program practice sites in these areas, including population and projected growth, as well as rural and underserved urban health needs.
MCW anticipates receiving pre-accreditation status through the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA). MCW is committed to leveraging institutional infrastructure wherever possible to support the PA Program development. The inaugural PA Program Director will work closely with the Office of Academic Affairs for student services, admissions, and other key areas of MCW’s existing education infrastructure to leverage strengths and existing resources where appropriate. The timeline for the PA Program is to matriculate the first class of 25 students in July 2023.
Primary Functions and Responsibilities:
- Lead, plan, and execute the vision of the program
- Knowledge and responsibility for all facets of the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) process as they pertain to the program.
- Faculty recruitment, hiring, development, and mentoring
- Organization, administration, and continuous review and analysis of all components of the Program
- Program strategic planning and development
- Program curriculum development and oversight
- Oversight of admissions process, recruitment, and orientation
- Ensure compliance with regulatory and institutional policies
- Chairing the program accreditation self-study committee
- Serving as the liaison between the Program, Department of Internal Medicine, other administrative units of the Medical College of Wisconsin, and other health care professionals and organizations
- Oversight and administration of grants
- Supervision of the medical director, principal and instructional faculty, and staff in all activities that directly relate to the PA program
- Monitoring of all Program fiscal management issues (e.g., budget development, expenditures, etc.)
- Manage the continuous program self-evaluation process to include data collection, analysis and program actions based upon this analysis
- Encourage excellence in the didactic and clinical years, with a particular emphasis on fostering a positive student experience for the duration of the program
- Produce scholarship, academically productive and contribute to journals in related fields
- Create and recruit a diverse group of students and learners
- Foster future growth and expansion of program
- Participation in clinical mission and practice
- Collaborate with senior leadership to facilitate the sharing of knowledge and resources
- Engage in community activities to foster an attitude of community of service
The Program Director will report to Roy Silverstein, MD, the Chair of the Department of Medicine and will closely collaborate with the Chief Administrator in the Department of Medicine. Direct reports to the Director will be determined at a later time. The successful candidate will be comfortable operating in a highly matrixed environment to be an effective leader of the Program.
Minimum Required Education: Master’s degree or doctorate and be a physician assistant. Candidates must possess qualifications for a faculty appointment at MCW.
Minimum Required Certification and Licensure: National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) certification, licensure to practice in the state of Wisconsin
Minimum Required Experience: Ten years clinical experience. An in-depth understanding of the physician assistant program, role, practice, and the physician assistant educational process. Experience in medical education/administration, strong evidence of administrative ability, including, but not limited to: interpersonal, leadership, and management skills. Previous experience with the accreditation process for physician assistant programs by the Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA).
Preferred Experience: A leadership role in a complex, multi-faceted university or academic medical center, with demonstrated strategic and implementation skills. A distinguished academic and professional career, including teaching and clinical experience.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Milwaukee
- Education Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Milwaukee
- Education Administration & Leadership Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Milwaukee
- Health & Medicine Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Milwaukee
- Medicine Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Milwaukee