Director of Administrative Operations
The Department of Computer Science seeks applicants for the position of Director of Administrative Operations. This is an administrative & professional (A/P) faculty position that reports to the department head. The successful candidate will work with the department head and other department leadership to manage and lead a large academic unit in an exciting time of growth and opportunity. The primary responsibility is to assist and support the department head in activities spanning the full scope of the department. This position plays an essential role in ensuring that the department's operations, administration, and initiatives are effectively implemented. Responsibilities include: serving as a liaison with diverse internal and external constituencies; tracking and assessing the department’s strategic plan and its execution; handling routine correspondence and approvals; planning and coordinating department meetings, high-level visits to the department, relationships with other campus units, and other initiatives; assisting with internal and external communication; coordinating departmental data collection and assessment; preparing reports and presentations; overseeing the organization of department records and documentation; managing administrative and faculty hiring processes; helping to coordinate department transitions to new space; supporting administrative staff development and planning; and working to enhance department community and culture.
The department currently has 15 staff members, 9 A/P faculty members, and 57 teaching & research faculty members, including 47 tenured or tenure-track faculty. We are home to over 1,200 undergraduate majors and over 300 graduate students, with university commitments to grow all programs significantly. The department is in the College of Engineering, whose undergraduate program ranks 13th and graduate program ranks 31st among all U.S. engineering schools (USN&WR). Virginia Tech's main campus is located in Blacksburg, VA, in a region consistently ranked among the country's best places to live. In addition, our program in the Washington, D.C., area offers unique proximity to government and industry partners and is also expanding rapidly, with Virginia Tech's exciting new Innovation Campus in Alexandria, VA, slated to open in 2024.
The department fully embraces Virginia Tech’s commitment to increase faculty, staff, and student diversity; to ensure a welcoming, affirming, safe, and accessible campus climate; to advance our research, teaching, and service mission through inclusive excellence; and to promote sustainable transformation through institutionalized structures. We cultivate a working environment that respects differences in gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, physical ability/qualities, and religious status. We strongly encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented communities to join us in this critical endeavor.
The position requires occasional travel. The selected candidate must pass a criminal background check prior to employment.
• Master’s degree in computer science or another science or engineering discipline; or Master’s degree in higher education, project management, organizational leadership or similar
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to function well as part of a team, working effectively with a diverse population, including students, faculty, and staff.
• Experience as an administrative leader or supervisor, managing projects and/or teams
• Excellent analytical, critical thinking, strategic planning, organizational and problem-solving skills
• Ability to handle sensitive information and maintain confidentiality
• Demonstrated commitment to the university’s Principles of Community
• Experience in a similar role, e.g., operations manager, program or project manager, chief-of-staff, deputy
• Experience in higher education administration
• A degree or experience in the computing field
Commensurate with Experience
February 15, 2021
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Tabitha Hartman at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: February 1, 2021
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Academic Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Academic Administration Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Business & Administrative Support Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg