Perform skilled tasks in the diagnosis, mechanical repair, maintenance and calibration of air conditioning, heating, refrigeration, and domestic hot water equipment and control systems. Incumbent exercises the use of independent judgment in the evaluation of HVAC systems and the recommendation of repairs.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs Preventive Maintenance tasks such as checking equipment operation, cleaning, lubrication, changing filters, adjusting and repairing HVAC equipment and controls, etc., consistent with the Manufacturer’s Equipment Operation and Repair Manuals and contemporary standards of good practice.
- Responds to temperature complaints, diagnoses problems, identifies solution, and makes necessary adjustments to assure adequate indoor air quality is maintained. Keeps constituents informed in a timely manner.
- Calibrate/adjust/repair/replace temperature, humidity and air equipment and control devices such as chillers, boilers, pumps, cooling towers, evaporative coolers, condensing units, fan coil units, air handlers, exhaust fans, thermostats, sensors, humidistats, relays, timers, pneumatic controls, electric (digital) controls, electronic controls, damper motors/dampers, switches, air compressors, PE switches, traps, valves, EMS data gathering panels, fire stats, DDC devices and other related control devices.
- Uses diagnostic equipment and line diagrams to trouble shoot problems and identify solutions.
- Advises supervision on upgrading/replacement needs of systems and related components and, assists in the development of recommendations for their purchase.
- Installs new systems and system components.
- Responds to various maintenance complaints, trouble shoots problems, identifies solution and resolves.
- Effectively plans and performs in a multi-task environment, and meets self or pre-imposed objectives and deadlines. Exercise the use of independent judgment.
- Maintains an effective working relationship, both inter and intra-departmentally.
- Participates on Quality Improvement Teams, as assigned.
- Prepare time and material estimates as required.
- Performs periodic inspections of work areas, buildings and related structures and assures steps are taken to maintain same in accordance with recognized standards of good practice.
- Responds to student and other group issues in a supportive, professional, timely and problem solving manner.
- Maintains neat, clean and safe mechanical rooms/spaces. Removes trash and debris.
- Abides by and complies with University policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties or special assignments as assigned.
- Minimum high school diploma or GED and HVAC Certification, supplemented by two (2) years of vocational training as an HVAC mechanic required
- CFC certification holder or attainment of same within 3 months of employment required
- Attendance at training courses directly related to HVAC controls maintenance
- Ability to read and understand complex wiring and control system diagrams
- Ability to use diagnostic tools with differing degrees of complexity
- Valid Florida Drivers License and an insurable driving record.
- Five (5) years hands-on experience in the operation, maintenance, repair and renovation of heating, ventilation, air conditioning, refrigeration, and domestic hot water systems, plus experience with pneumatic and electronic controls.