Research Technician II
To learn more about the Joanna Jankowsky Lab, please visit: https://www.bcm.edu/research/labs-and-centers/faculty-labs/joanna-jankowsky-lab .
A full-time position is available immediately in the Jankowsky Lab at the BCM Department of Neuroscience. The Jankowsky laboratory studies neurodegenerative diseases including Alzheimer’s and frontotemporal dementia using genetically altered mouse models to understand the cause of disease and test new treatments. We are looking for a smart and dedicated research technician to assist with animal management and general lab duties. Responsibilities of this position are split between the laboratory and the mouse room. Laboratory responsibilities include PCR genotyping, supply ordering, general lab organization, tissue harvest, and cryosectioning. Vivarium responsibilities include breeding, plug checks, weaning, toe biopsies, record keeping, and communication with vivarium staff. The best candidates will have excellent organizational skills and a basic understanding of neuroscience; in return, we will provide training in all of the required techniques and offer a supportive working environment.
- Perform mouse husbandry including breeding, weaning, euthanasia as needed to maintain multiple mouse strains.
- Coordinate with lab members to match animal production to experimental needs.
- Organize and perform weekly toe biopsies to obtain material for genotyping.
- Conduct weekly PCR genotyping of offspring from the lab production colony.
- Maintain accurate biopsy, breeding, and genotyping records for the laboratory.
- Interface with vivarium staff to ensure special care requirements are met.
- Harvest and process tissue from experimental animals for histology or immunostaining.
- Assist with ongoing experimental work to include behavioral testing, data analysis, microscopy, or other tasks as needed.
- Supply management, including oversight of supply inventory, all procurement (Fastcard, Punchout, and POs), and all receiving for the lab.
- Lab maintenance, including oversight of equipment maintenance and repair.
- Environmental waste management for the lab.
- Bachelor's degree in a Basic Science or related field. Four years of related experience may substitute for degree requirement.
- No Experience Required.
- Experience handling lab mice or rats and working with genetically engineered lines, prior experience with basic laboratory techniques. including PCR or histology.
- Good organizational skills, excellent record keeping, attention
to detail, and the ability to work well with others.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Other Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston