The Glycomaterials Science and Technology Laboratory in the Department of Sustainable Biomaterials invites applications from outstanding candidates for a Postdoctoral Researcher position. This position is part of the NSF-funded, multi-university project DMR-1933525: “GlycoMIP: an NSF Materials Innovation Platform – Automating the Synthesis of Rationally Designed Glycomaterials”. The successful candidate will conduct collaborative research in the area of glycomaterials rheology, operate and maintain a new Anton Paar MCR 302 rheometer in the GlycoMIP Materials Facility—a national user facility—and support rheometry-involving user projects (25 to 50% of time). Additional responsibilities include writing proposals, creating manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed journals, presenting research results at conferences, supervising graduate research, creating Standard Operating Procedures, conducting training for facility users, and adhering to applicable safety protocols.
● Ph.D. in chemistry, chemical engineering, sustainable biomaterials science, or a closely related field. PhD must be awarded no more than four years prior to the effective date of appointment with a minimum of one year eligibility remaining.
● Extensive knowledge of rheometry and experience in operating a rheometer
● Excellent oral and written communication and English language skills
● Excellent interpersonal skills
● Demonstrated ability to deliver technical information to peer audiences in spoken or written English
● Experience with technical writing, especially with publishing research findings in peer-reviewed English-language journals
● Experience in operating an Anton Paar MCR 302 rheometer
● Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a team
● Experience in supervising or mentoring students
● Customer service experience
March 1, 2021
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Debbie at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: January 29, 2021
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg