STATUS/HOURS: Full-time, 12 months/year, minimum 40 hours/week, nights and weekends are integral and flexibility is required. Schedule may vary according to departmental and Academy needs.
CLASSIFICATION: Support Staff
Responsible for the preparation of residential meals, ensuring consistent and timely production, quality, quantity and presentation of hot and cold foods.
Must embody the mission of the Dining Services Department: “A Team of Professionals dedicated to providing quality food service with a personal touch.”
This position is considered “Essential Personnel” in the event that:
- an emergency occurs on the PEA Campus or in the vicinity that would impact PEA;
- inclement weather forces the closing of campus or;
- other emergency events deemed appropriate.
Essential Personnel are required to report to or remain at work if instructed to do so if contacted directly by the supervisor (or his/her designee), the Principal or a member of the Principal’s Staff (Leadership Team).
- Produces complete residential and catered meals on a timely basis utilizing event function sheets, recipes and menu tasting.
- High volume food preparation and cooking, strictly adhering to recipes and cycle menus.
- Confirms that all foods produced and served are of the highest quality.
- Responsible for taking weekly catering inventories of food.
- Ensures that allergy control systems are being followed in accordance with departmental standard operating procedures.
- Properly utilizes unused food products and adheres to pre/post production standards to minimize food waste.
- Ensures quality, appearance and correct number of portions of daily menu items.
- Ensure proper portion control and note food portions used during meals on service records.
- Collaborates with other cooks to maintain proper inventory levels of menu items.
- Maintains a high level of customer service.
- Promotes a positive and congenial atmosphere for students, employees, and other customers.
- Contributes to a positive working environment with managers and other coworkers.
- Instructs and delegates responsibilities and work assignments of support staff in cooks’ area.
- Oversees and coordinates production operation and staff to meet operation deadlines.
- Adheres to, and ensures staff abide by, all menu and recipe standards.
- Obeys all local, state, and federal safety health codes.
- Follows the top 8 food allergens and ensures that these ingredients are clearly labeled with an allergy warning.
- Ensures proper sanitation of work areas, kitchen equipment and all kitchen surfaces and observe all MSDS policies/procedures for safety and sanitation.
- Observes all safety and departmental policies/procedures regarding proper handling and labeling of food and equipment while preparing, serving, and storing food.
- Ensures that the facility and equipment are properly maintained in accordance with local, state, and federal health codes.
Incumbent works under the guidance of the Assistant Manager and Dining Manager, but is expected to work with a high level of independence and autonomy, and exercise a high degree of initiative, influence, and judgment in decisions impacting staff and department operations.
Expected to solve problems or address issues that require immediate attention.
Directs support staff in cooks’ area
Internal & External Contacts
Frequent contact with students, Dean of Students office, PEA administrative and academic offices, faculty, coaches, and staff. External contacts may include parents, outside organizations, visitors and local community neighbors.
- High school diploma or GED required
- Culinary Arts degree preferred.
- ServSafe certification is required. Must be able to obtain certificate within 60 days of hire (attend required class and pass test).
- Minimum 1 year directly related experience in a high volume kitchen and fast-paced environment.
- Experience in an academic institution preferred.
- Demonstrated experience directing work assignments of support staff in cooks’ area.
- Experience working with adolescents in an educational setting preferred.
Skills & Knowledge
- Experience in large volume production and knowledge of quantity food preparation methods and terminology.
- Ability to discuss food ingredients, including allergens, and preparation methods with management.
- Ability to work safely with knives and kitchen equipment.
- Must demonstrate knowledge of high standards of kitchen cleanliness.
- Ability to perform basic math computations and follow recipes.
- Ability to correctly identify product.
- Must possess knowledge and commit to health and safety procedures with food handling and preparation.
- Practices excellent personal hygiene habits.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including extended hours, weekends, and holidays.
- Ability to function in a fast-paced environment and under short time constraints.
- Must possess excellent guest service and hospitality skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to develop and maintain collegial relationships.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with students by building trust and credibility.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills as well as a strong customer focus.
- A strict adherence to confidential policies is required.
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple priorities and deadlines simultaneously.
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Willingness and ability to learn additional applications as needed.
- High degree of organizational skills with the ability to be flexible and multi-task with accuracy.
- Ability to follow verbal and written directions, maintain a professional demeanor and restraint at all times, including stressful situations.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusivity and to serving the needs of a diverse and inclusive community with diplomacy and tact.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Physical demands are in excess of those for sedentary work and will require the ability to remain standing for extended periods of time, go up and down flights of steps, lift and push heavy objects as well as stoop, squat, bend, kneel, crouch, and lift.
- Ability and dexterity to grasp, grip and safely operate commercial kitchen equipment.
- Ability to lift and transport up to 50lbs without assistance.
- Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction.
- Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s), for example using a keyboard.
- Communication skills using the spoken and written word.
- Ability to see with normal parameters.
- Ability to hear within normal range.
- Ability to work under a range of temperature conditions such as withstanding exposure to extreme heat in the kitchen or extreme cold from freezers.
- Successfully complete a criminal background check (reviewed every 5 years).
- Clean Driving record (reviewed annually).
- Successfully complete a pre-employment physical/health screening examination, which may include a drug screening.
- Must consistently wear assigned uniform and equipment and adhere to the appearance guidelines.