Patient Service Representative (4913)
The Patient Service Representative offers, friendly, courteous, effective, and efficient front office services to every patient to ensure that each patient has a positive experience while at the Student Health Center (SHC); coordinates clinic phone communications among patients, staff, and providers, schedules appointments, processes financial transactions related to medical services, maintains and manages flow of medical records throughout the Health Center.
1. Patient Intake and Reception
- Greet and check-in patients in a friendly and courteous manner in person and on the phone, direct flow of patients and calls.
- Schedules patient appointments, registers patients, and performs cashiering functions, including encounter form entry.
- Collect and verify accurate and complete demographic and insurance information from patient. Accurately enter all data into the information system and update established patient files, as necessary.
- Process insurance referrals for students enrolled in the student health insurance plan
2. Communication and Information
- Perform screening function with patients to determine appropriate staff/departments to best meet patient’s needs and refer appropriately.
- Provide information to patients regarding financial policies, registration requirements, student health insurance etc.
- Process all clerical records and information for clinic patients including cashiering, patient consents, outside medical records, etc.
- Assist with immunization data entry and placing holds on student registration if student is non-compliant
- Assist students in finding after-hours care if they cannot be seen during the day of their appointment
3. Patient Satisfaction
- Ensure that patient waiting areas are clean, well maintained and pleasant.
- Ensure that patient needs are met while in the clinic to include access to transportation as necessary, interpreters, other assistance.
4. Perform similar and incidental duties as assigned by supervisor.
This position reports directly to the Administrative Coordinator This position does not direct the activities of a staff or function. This position knows policies, procedures, and practices necessary to conduct normal function of the front office.
- The PSR assists between 40 and 60 clients per day, handles 15-25 phone calls
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
- Associate A
Required Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or GED required
- One year of experience in a service-oriented office setting, medical office experience preferred.
- Familiarity with medical insurance, medical terminology, and basic computer skills preferred. Electronic medical record experience preferred.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Must be able to work as member of a team.
- Effective communication skills with fellow PSRs, providers, staff; and patients is critical.
- Has responsibility for decisions that impact patients, other, staff, and/or quality of service within the Health Center.
- Work may be stressful at times; contact may occasionally involve dealing with upset students. 40-hour work week. Typical work schedule is 8am-5pm or 8:30-5:30pm with an hour for lunch.
- During the academic year, will work an evening (until 8pm) shift in rotation with other PSRs.
- The successful candidate will be able to provide a high level of customer, patient-friendly service.
- S/he will be an individual who can think creatively about ways to help patients and improve work flows within the Student Health Center.
- Attention to detail is extremely important in this position
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on the successful completion of a background check
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Support Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Health Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.