iSchool Librarian - Senior Assistant
iSchool Liaison Librarian with Online Learning Emphasis
The San José State University (SJSU) Library seeks qualified and student-centered candidates for the full-time, tenure-track faculty librarian position of iSchool Liaison with an online learning emphasis. This position is one of three that will be hired in 2021--STEM Librarian, iSchool Librarian, and Scholarly Communications & Digital Scholarship Librarian--providing a supportive cohort to the successful candidate. The Library is striving to increase the diversity of its faculty and encourages all members of underrepresented groups to apply.
This position directly supports the School of Information and oversees the wide and diverse suite of online teaching and learning objects that constitute a significant asynchronous portion of the Library’s instructional program. Experience or coursework in instructional technologies, instructional design, and online learning would be a solid foundation for this position.
SJSU’s Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Library brings people, ideas, and information together through its spaces, resources, and expertise to facilitate community building, innovation, and knowledge creation. We strive to provide student-centered learning experiences that promote critical thinking skills and lifelong learning. The Library is committed to bringing anti-racism practices into library services.
This position is an excellent opportunity for librarians interested in launching a career at a teaching-centered institution that is a national leader in graduating historically underserved students. SJSU has been ranked #1 in increasing student upward mobility, particularly among underrepresented, first-generation, and Pell- qualified students.
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree or its equivalent by the time of hire
- Coursework and/or experience incorporating current and emerging technologies into virtual instruction and information services
- Evidence of potential to maintain an ongoing agenda of scholarly research and professional development at appropriate levels
- Demonstrated awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural population, as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching and other comparable experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and
- Demonstrated ability to effectively scaffold and instruct users with diverse abilities and needs in both physical and virtual learning environments
- Demonstrated ability to plan, create, maintain, and assess online teaching and learning objects using instructional design principles
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a team in a
rapidly changing environment
- Collaborate with SJSU faculty/library liaison teams to assist in the creation, implementation, maintenance, and evaluation of SJSU Library’s wide and diverse suite of online teaching and learning objects, such as web-based tutorials, instructional videos, research guides, and web pages
- Maintain and promote knowledge of emerging trends, best practices, and pedagogical principles in instructional design in an online environment, and provide training as needed
- Engage in the selection and evaluation of resources that support the curricular and research needs of iSchool students, faculty, and programs
- Offer reference, consultative, and instructional services to undergraduate, graduate students and faculty
- Strengthen SJSU library’s online presence and extend the library's reach by identifying and embedding appropriate materials into the learning management system
- Remain current with trends and strategies in information literacy and instructional technology
- Participate in shared governance, usually in department, college, and university committee and other service assignments.
- Participate in multidisciplinary teams, library governance, professional development activities, and university service
- Build a record of progressive scholarly and professional achievement to fulfill the University requirement of retention, tenure, and promotion
- Address the needs of a student population of great diversity –
in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language and
academic preparation – through inclusive course materials and
Compensation: This position is represented by the California Faculty Association (CFA) and covered by its contract . Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. View additional faculty Benefits Summary .
Starting Date: Summer/Fall 2021
Eligibility: Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
For full consideration, submit the following documents by March 7, 2021:
- letter of interest
- curriculum vitae
- statement of teaching interests and philosophy that describe the role library instruction plays in supporting student success across a diverse population (1 page)
- research interests/plan (1 page)
- three references with contact information
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application. Potential candidates are invited to attend one of two informational webinars scheduled for February 4, 2021 from 1-2 pm PST and February 10, 2021 from 10-11 PST to learn more about the position, library, or University. Anonymity will be ensured, as the attendee list will be hidden. Further inquiries may be directed to the Search Committee Chair Peggy Cabrera, email@example.com .
Please note: Original transcripts of terminal degree will be required of applicants invited to the all-day, virtual interview. Three (3) letters of recommendation will be required for appointment. This position will remain open until filled.
San José State University enrolls over 35,700 students, a significant percentage of whom are members of minority groups. As such, this position is for scholars interested in a career at a national leader in graduating URM students. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution; 40% of our students are first-generation, and 38% are Pell-qualified. The university is currently ranked third nationally in increasing student upward mobility. The University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
San José State University is California’s oldest institution of public higher learning. Located in downtown San José (Pop. 1,000,000) in the heart of Silicon Valley, SJSU is part of one of the most innovative regions in the world. As Silicon Valley’s public university, SJSU combines dynamic teaching, research, and university-industry experiences to prepare students to address the biggest problems facing society. SJSU is a member of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Advertised: January 31, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Instructional Technology & Design Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose
- Library & Information Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in San Jose