Assistant Professor of Natural Science, Missoula College
Missoula College at the University of Montana in Missoula invites qualified individuals to apply for the tenure track position as an Assistant Professor of Natural Science in the Department of Applied Arts and Sciences (AASc). We seek an individual with a passion for teaching natural science classes at the 100- and 200-level and the ability to serve as Discipline Lead for the department’s Natural Sciences area. A Fall Semester 2021 hire date is anticipated. Preference will be given to candidates with broad field science education, which could result in an interdisciplinary appointment spanning more than one subject area.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
- Position is full-time, 1.0 FTE, Assistant Professor and includes a comprehensive and competitive benefits package including Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
- Salary for this position is commensurate with qualifications.
Minimum Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master's degree with the appropriate credentials to teach in one or more of the following areas: environmental science, chemistry, physics, biology, or geology.
- Ability to supervise and mentor adjunct faculty members.
- Demonstrated proficiency in instructional methodology and curriculum design.
- Demonstrated success teaching in STEM areas, preferably in a two-year college setting.
- Ability to collaborate with faculty members on other two- and four-year campuses.
- Expertise in teaching and learning in appropriate STEM areas.
- Ability to work collaboratively with students, faculty, staff and the external community
- Ability to contribute to the mission of Missoula College and the University of Montana.
- Familiarity with UM academic programs, policies, and procedures.
- Experience in broad field science education in a two-year college.
About UM and Missoula
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with over 10,000 students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 72,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “ top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “ The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America” in 2014 . Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
- State of Montana
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to Offer of Employment. In accordance with University policy, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference - Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References - *References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing - Individual hiring departments at UM-M may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility - All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: March 1, 2021
Applications received by this date will be guaranteed consideration. Application review will begin on after the date above and continue until the position is filled with an anticipated start date autumn 2021.
Please submit the following application materials via "New Resume/CV" button below.
*Please note: only five (5) attachments are allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.
- Letter of Interest – addressing the stated required qualifications for the position
- Detailed curriculum Vitae listing education and describing work experience
- Three (3) professional references - Names and contact information for three (3) professional references
- Documentation showing evidence of attained qualifications/licenses if applicable
Need additional help? Check out our UM Jobs FAQ website .
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Geology & Earth Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner