Instructional Designer (remote)
Instructional Designer (remote)
About Champlain College:
Founded in 1878, Champlain College is a small, private, not-for-profit college in Burlington, Vermont overlooking Lake Champlain and the Adirondack mountains, with additional campuses in Montreal, Canada, and Dublin, Ireland. Its career-driven approach to higher education prepares students for professional life from their very first semester. For the fifth year in a row, Champlain was named a "Most Innovative School" in the North by U.S. News & World Report's "America's Best Colleges" 2020 regional rankings and listed among The Princeton Review's "The Best 385 Colleges" in 2020. Champlain is also featured in the 2021 Fiske Guide to Colleges as one of the "best and most interesting schools" in the United States, Canada, and Great Britain and is recognized as a 2020 College of Distinction for its "Engagement, Teaching, Community, and Outcomes. The College offers 30 undergraduate degrees as well as online undergraduate, graduate, and certificate programs.
Champlain's Centers of Experience provide students from across all majors with experiential learning environments that guide them in how to take their classroom knowledge and put it to the test in practical applications allowing them to gain real-world experience firsthand. Each Center connects Champlain to the local community and the world, turning theory into practice. The Centers entrust students with responsibility, engage them in ambitious goals and empower them to lead with creativity, confidence, insight, and integrity. At the helms of the Centers are cutting-edge industry professionals who share the goal of providing the most relevant, career-focused education, enriched with hands-on learning opportunities.
The Instructional Designer works with program directors/deans, subject matter experts, faculty, and other eLearning team members to design and develop new courses and revise existing courses in the College's online Learning Management System (LMS), Canvas. The Instructional Designer supports instructors by addressing teaching and learning issues in online courses. This person plays a key role in identifying the needs of students, designing and developing learning experiences, and working with subject matter experts to produce courses that are outcomes-driven, engaging, and ADA compliant. The Instructional Designer leads development teams to design and develop courses and manage their caseload of courses in which they contribute expertise to structure content and activities, develop assessments, adapt instructional materials, and create media to optimize student learning. This position is best suited to someone who enjoys problem-solving in a team environment and seeks to develop new skills while growing their understanding of learning and technology.
Job Responsibilities and Duties:
Manage course design and development projects.
- Lead individual course development teams that include subject matter experts, program directors/deans, eLearning team members, and others while ensuring resources are well deployed, timelines and standards are met, and all parties collaborate effectively.
- The Instructional Designer will develop and manage content in Canvas. Structure content and activities; develop assessments; adapt instructional materials; and create media, hands-on exercises, and scenarios to optimize student learning.
- Provide consultation and support to individual faculty looking to improve their courses through the effective use of web-based instructional technologies.
- Ensure the course development process is evidence-based, relevant to the stakeholders, and effective for learning by the target population.
- Contribute positively to a department culture that is a hospitable and engaging environment for faculty to seek support for course improvement.
Conduct course reviews to ensure courses are strategically-aligned, outcomes-driven, engaging, and ADA compliant.
- Regularly review existing online courses, assist in the creation of priority lists of courses to be redeveloped, facilitate the design and development of those courses.
- Create evidence-based improvement plans for courses that can be carried out by the Instructional Designer and/or other staff and faculty.
- Assist with the production of documents that communicate guidelines and standards. Keep them updated and ensure usability by eLearning team members and faculty.
Write training materials, create and deliver training experiences that model best practices in faculty training, student orientation, the use of learning management systems, and online pedagogy.
- Create and/or approve training material prepared for faculty and students regarding the use of the LMS and online teaching and learning.
- Remain current with best practices, research, and emerging models of instructional design in online environments. Regularly communicate that information within eLearning and through department training channels.
- Deliver online or in-person training as needed.
Administrative and other duties.
- Provide input into discussions around best practices, policy, and process.
- Attend and participate in department meetings.
- Participate in the work needed to complete department goals.
TECHNICAL AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Master's degree in Instructional Design, Instructional Technology, or equivalent professional experience.
- 3- 5 years of experience working with faculty or SMEs in higher education or professional setting required.
- Knowledge and application of leading Instructional Design models required.
- Background in usability and experience design, information design, and communications.
- Experience developing instructor-led, online, and mobile courses.
- Experience with elearning technology tools, project management tools, and learning management systems (Canvas experience preferred).
- Expertise creating accessible and usable Web pages.
- Experience with HTML and editing tools for Web text and graphics.
- Experience with Microsoft Office or Google Apps required.
- Experience with PhotoShop, Illustrator, other Adobe Creative Cloud applications, Articulate360, H5P, and video a plus.
- Strong attention to detail, process, and deadlines.
- Communication and interpersonal skills, excellent file management, documentation, project management, writing, editing, collaboration, and a positive approach to customer service are required.
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to multitask under strict deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in visual, oral, and written form.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a high-performing team with shared goals.
For more information and to apply, please go to https://champlain.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=127929
In order to be considered for the position, you must upload a resume and cover letter.
EU Employee Data Protection Notice: