Information Technology/Cyber Security Instructor - Tenure Track
Spokane Falls Community College (SFCC) seeks qualified
candidates for consideration of employment in this annually
contracted, tenure-track position.
SFCC is a beautiful campus overlooking the Spokane River and near the urban center of Spokane, a mid-sized city in the inland Pacific Northwest with a high quality of life and quick access to the outdoors. More information about relocating to / living in Spokane is available here: http://ccs.spokane.edu/Working-for-Us/Relocation-and-Living-in-Spokane
SFCC is one of two accredited community colleges that comprise the Community Colleges of Spokane. Serving about 8,200 students, SFCC strives to be an educational leader and a responsive partner with the community and region to provide access to relevant programs of the highest quality. We offer a large liberal arts/transfer program (approximately 75% of total enrollment) as well as state-of-the-art professional technical programs (about 25%). We strive to embrace diversity, promote equity, and foster global awareness at every level of our college.
Information Systems and Computer Science Department at Spokane Falls Community College is a dynamic department that supports both AAS and Bachelor level work. The department is seeking a qualified candidate to complement the existing faculty body and contribute to the growth in information systems and cyber security. In 2019, SFCC Cyber Security Program was designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education by the National Security Agency and Department of Homeland Security.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares for and deliver courses (AAS and Bachelor level) of various topics including computer literacy, entry level computer programming, web programming, computer systems, computer hardware, cyber defense and security, Applications (Excel, Access, Word…), database design/implementation, computer Ethics & Law. Assignments may be at off-campus centers and may also include evening and virtual classes.
- Provides availability and accessibility to students for purpose of academic consulting and support, in a manner appropriate to meet student needs, through a combination of scheduled office hours, e-mail accessibility or other effective means of responsive and timely communication;
- Communicates expectations and establishes clear grading criteria through appropriate instructional means, to include but not limited to developing course syllabi, handouts, and materials supporting the instructional process; evaluates student progress and provides clear, timely feedback;
- Participates in district, division, department, or general faculty meetings; in-service training; curriculum development; academic consulting; workshops or seminars; service on district or college councils or committees, or other activities within the scope of the position;
- Complies with state and federal law applicable to professional duties and responsibilities; Follows established procedures in areas such as printing, turning in grades, bookstore orders, office support, student financial aid requirements, safety and health issues and related administrative processes;
- Supports and advances the CCS strategic plan, and perform other duties as assigned.
- In addition, faculty may:
- Instruct courses in related disciplines based upon individual qualifications and expertise.
- Supervise paraprofessional employees or direct the work of assigned work-study students.
- Advise student clubs or associations.
- Advise students in the chosen pathway
COMPETENCIES & OTHER REQUIREMENTS
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (Minimum Qualifications)
- An earned Masters degree in Management Information Systems, Cyber Security, Computer Science, or related field from an accredited institution.
- Acceptance of the responsibility to promote the welfare and best interests of students at all times.
- Acceptance of and willingness to support the role that community colleges serve in higher education, and specifically the mission, values, goals and objectives of the Community Colleges of Spokane.
- Ability to perform assigned duties in a manner consistent with applicable laws, regulations and goals of the institution and the community/technical college system.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering and supporting a teaching, learning and working environment that honors diversity, equity and inclusion.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES (Desirable Qualifications)
- PhD degree in Computer Science, Cyber Security, and/or Management Information Systems or related field from an accredited institution.
- Recent teaching or corporate training experience in information systems and/or cyber related courses
- Recent experience in business/industry in information management environment, cyber, or computer-related area.
- Experience and demonstrated interest in developing and implementing diverse instructional approaches such as the use of technology, including online teaching and competency-based education.
- Demonstrated professional contributions to the discipline such as professional association membership, conference presentations, and/or publications.
- Demonstrated success working with diverse and under-represented populations.
CONDITIONS/TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
This is a full-time, tenure track position with an entry level base salary (for a 175-day academic year contract) of $55,916 - $59,069 / year. Future advancement in base salary, up to the current maximum of $81,220, is based upon a combination of years of service accrued at our college and professional development activity.
Faculty have potential to earn up to $121,561 (average annual salary paid to our 20 highest earning faculty during FY2018/19). FY 2018/19 average annual faculty salary (all faculty) was $76,425. Annual salary is comprised of base salary plus any combination of academic year overload contracts, summer effort contracts, project stipends, student club advising stipends, and/or department chair /program lead faculty stipends consistent with the provisions of the current collective bargaining agreement between CCS and the Association for Higher Education (AHE).
TOTAL COMPENSATION: $71,901 - $75,336.
Total compensation is an estimate based upon adding the following amounts together:
The actual total will vary depending upon each employee's
CCS reserves the right to cancel this recruitment without notice. Union membership is no longer a condition of employment although this position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement. Anticipated date of employment is Fall 2021.
CONDITIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT
Person hired must be able to provide acceptable documentation of U.S. Citizenship or lawful authorization to work in the United States. This is an absolute condition of employment. An offer of employment will not carry with it any responsibility or obligation on the part of the District to sponsor an H1-B visa. In addition, the Community Colleges of Spokane maintains a drug-free work environment and prohibits all smoking in the college buildings and state-owned vehicles. Must be able to successfully work in and promote a multicultural work and education environment. Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant’s suitability and competence to perform in the position. Once an applicant is chosen for an interview, they are required to complete and submit a declaration regarding sexual misconduct and investigation per state law.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
To qualify for consideration, applicants must meet required competencies and submit a complete application packet, which includes the following:
- CCS online application including supplemental questions.
- Cover letter addressing applicant's qualifications as applied to the responsibilities as well as the competencies of this position*
- Comprehensive curriculum vitae. *
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references. *
- A one-page statement describing a significant teaching experience that reinforces applicant’s interest in teaching Information/Computer Science or a one-page philosophy of teaching. *
- One example of an assessment/project that you use in the classroom as an instrument for teaching and/or evaluation. *
- A comprehensive list of classes or industry workshops taught organized by year and frequency. *
- College transcript(s) * - unofficial/copies of transcripts are acceptable for initial application, official copies must be submitted upon acceptance of job offer.*