Administrative Assistant, Student Life & Services
Antelope Valley College
Administrative Assistant, Student Life & Services
Salary: $4,133.39 Monthly
Deadline: 2/9/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Complete job description and application available online at: https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/avc/jobs/2929493/administrative-assistant-student-life-services?page=1&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Implements directives of the Dean and performs a wide variety of complex specialized secretarial and administrative functions in support of the division; coordinates communication and office activities assuring efficient office operations; performs a variety of duties and responsibilities which are of a sensitive and confidential nature; and performs other related responsibilities as may be assigned.
(E = indicates essential duties of the position)
• Organizes and manages the daily activities of the division office to assure efficient and effective office operation; coordinates communications and handles administrative matters; develops and implements efficient and effective office practices and procedures. (E)
• Performs a variety of duties independently in support of functions delegated to the assigned administrator; interprets and applies rules and regulations as appropriate. (E)
• Prepares correspondence independently or from oral instructions; drafts, prepares, and edits a wide variety of materials such as correspondence, reports, surveys, forms, charts, and other documents; utilizes the computer to perform advanced-level word processing functions including complex formatting of documents, creating charts, developing spreadsheets and using a variety of software; verifies data for accuracy, completeness and compliance with established procedures; inputs and retrieves computerized data. (E)
• Greets visitors, initiates and answers telephone calls, screens and directs calls and visitors to appropriate personnel; responds to requests for information from students, staff and the general public regarding District programs, policies, procedures and regulations; exercises discretion and confidentiality in evaluating and/or resolving problems and complaints, including security and safety issues. (E)
• Coordinates communication and activities with other District departments and personnel, students, educational institutions, vendors, other outside organizations and the public; obtains and provides information regarding District personnel and the general public regarding District programs, policies, procedures, and regulations. (E)
• Develops schedules related to division activities and services; assembles information, verifies accuracy and inputs or oversees the input of information into the computer; processes data according to established procedures and timelines; processes division schedule changes, post notices accordingly. (E)
• Assists in budget preparations; maintains records of expenditures and other financial records. (E)
• Organizes, establishes filing and record keeping systems; maintains a variety of files, and records including those of a sensitive and confidential nature. (E)
• Compiles information and data from a variety of sources for reports and assist in the preparation of statistical and narrative reports from a variety of sources; conducts research as required; prepare, duplicates, and collates materials. (E)
• Schedules meetings and appointments for assigned administrator; prepares agenda items for meetings; maintains records, attends meetings and prepares minutes for distribution to appropriate personnel. (E)
• Receives, opens and routes mail; orders, issues, and maintain department supplies and forms; orders and disburses a variety of materials to other departments; faculty, student and the community. (E)
• Provides training and work direction to student assistants, hourly personnel and others as assigned; participates as requested in hiring personnel and provide input regarding performance evaluations. (E)
• Schedules classroom and facilities use; coordinates with facilities and necessary personnel; initiates and assists at special events and performs research and other special projects; coordinates activities between the administrators and staff, students, the public or other District or campus officials; obtains and provides information, coordinates student and public activities and resolves problems. (E)
• Completes and submits forms related to staff absences and/or leaves and prepares payroll reports.
• Processes new hires and resignations including request for phone extensions, network accounts, Banner access, email, keys, general supplies, and assembles new hire packets for disbursement.
• Acts a liaison between the Dean and the Inter Club Council, their advisors, the Associated Student Association-student government members and the Student Trustee.
• Provides appropriate interface between the community, business representatives, students, faculty and the dean. (E)
• Maintains efficient tracking of all tasks and projects to ensure timely completion of all tasks and projects essential to the business of the division. (E)
• Prepares brochures and program flyers. (E)
• Takes and transcribes dictation and utilizes transcription equipment; maintains confidentiality of sensitive information as appropriate. (E)
• Performs other related duties as may be assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school including or supplemented by course work in business, secretarial science or related field and three years increasingly responsible secretarial experience.
• Operations, procedures and activities of a division office. Microsoft Office Suite and other software and hardware applications,
• Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
• Financial and statistical record-keeping techniques.
• Receptionist and telephone techniques.
• Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
• Oral and written communication skills. Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
• District organization, operations, policies and objectives. Operation of office machines including computer equipment and applicable software.
• Perform responsible secretarial support duties for a dean.
• Provide information and communicate effectively with College personnel, students and the public.
• Read, interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
• Compose correspondence independently.
• Perform responsible clerical work rapidly and accurately.
• Type at 60 words net per minute.
• Take dictation transcribe accurately.
• Maintain records and prepare reports.
• Compile and organize data and prepare reports.
• Operate a variety of office equipment such as typewriter, computer, printer, word processor, calculator and other equipment as assigned.
• Learn and apply procedures, rules, regulations and terminology concerning the assigned division.
• Work independently with little direction.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Complete work with many interruptions.
• Work confidentially with discretion.
• Train and provide work direction to others.
For a complete listing and details of all open positions and how to apply, select the HR & Employment link on the AVC Web site at https://www.avc.edu/administration/hr/employment or contact the Human Resources Office at (661) 722-6311; Voice/Relay, (661) 722-6300 x. 6360, 3041 West Avenue K, Lancaster, CA 93536.