Assistant Professor, Microbiology
The Department of Biological Sciences at Florida Gulf Coast University invites applications for a full-time faculty position in any area of Microbiology with a record of research and teaching accomplishments. As an Assistant Professor you will teach at both undergraduate and graduate levels, as applicable; be involved in course and/or curriculum development; research/scholarship; participate on College and University committees and/or initiatives.
Florida Gulf Coast University is a comprehensive university dedicated to quality education, research, and service. All faculty are expected to be excellent teachers, responsive to changing professional needs; committed to innovative delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning; committed to effective use of technology including distance learning; produce peer reviewed scholarship; and provide service to the College, University and Community. Teaching assignments may be on the main campus or at off-campus sites within our region.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
- Teaches undergraduate courses in Microbiology, General Biology, and other courses in the Biology major and Microbiology concentration as required by departmental needs and commensurate with the individual candidate’s expertise.
- Develops and teach Microbiology courses in a proposed new MS Biology Program which is currently under development.
- Develops a course in the candidate’s area of interest.
- Develops a strong research program that includes undergraduate and graduate students.
- Implements a growing undergraduate curriculum and prepares for a graduate program.
- Other duties will include professional development and service.
Additional Job Description
- Ph.D. in Biological Sciences with a minimum of 18 graduate hours in Biology/Microbiology from a regionally accredited institution or equivalent accreditation.
- Experience in teaching undergraduate courses at all levels.
- ABD will be considered if degree is conferred by August 7, 2021. If successful candidate is ABD, appointment will be made at a Lecturer level on a fixed contract.
- Ph.D. in Microbiology from a regionally accredited institution or equivalent accreditation.
- Postdoctoral research experience.
- Successful teaching experience.
- Rank appropriate record of publications.
- Experience developing an active research program including engagement with undergraduate students.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience or commitment to the use of technology in distance learning & university teaching. Interest in collaborating both within and outside the University in the development and delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning. Must value continued scholarship and service to the school and university.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Appointment will be made on a 9-month multi-year appointment basis available August 2021.
Because applications and materials are subject to public review and retention under Florida’s Public Records Law, please DO NOT send examples of your project/scholarship unless requested to do so. Therefore, all submitted materials including articles, disks, slides, books, etc., become the property of FGCU and CANNOT BE RETURNED. As applicable, finalists will be notified of the need to submit specific additional materials. Such materials will become the property of FGCU.
Under Florida’s Public Records law, applications will be available for public review upon request.
Required Application Materials:
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Curriculum Vitae
- Names of Five (5) Professional References
Additional Materials (the application will ask you to upload any additional required documents from the job posting.) The following are the additional that should be uploaded in that section:
- Statement identifying your past contributions to equity, diversity and inclusion. Illustrate how your scholarship, teaching, service, or other work history will support FGCU’s commitment to EDI in higher education, including potential to work with a culturally diverse faculty, student body and broader community (maximum 1 page).
The position is listed as “open until filled”, however applications received by Friday March 5th, 2021 will receive priority consideration.
Salary range is $56,000.00 – Negotiable
FGCU is an EOE AA /F/Vet/Disability Employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers
- Curriculum & Instruction Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers