Vice-President for Research and Development
The Hong Kong University of Science and
Vice-President for Research and Development
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) invites applications and nominations for the position of Vice-President for Research and Development of the University.
Founded in 1991, HKUST is an international research university dedicated to the advancement of science, engineering, business & management, and humanities & social science, and the education of the next generation of leaders for the world. With equal emphasis on undergraduate and postgraduate education as well as close collaboration with industry and business, HKUST is a leading university with significant international impact and strong local commitment. Within a short history of 29 years, HKUST has established a substantial presence in the global higher education scene and received considerable international recognition. Among others, HKUST has been ranked #1 in the World’s Top 400 Young Universities 2020 by Times Higher Education, and the 27th in the QS World University Rankings in 2021. Its EMBA Program has topped the highly regarded Financial Times Global EMBA Rankings for 10 times in 2007, 2009-2013, 2016-2018 and 2020, and it is also ranked #2 in the QS Global Joint EMBA Rankings in 2020. Located on a hillside and waterfront complex overlooking the Clear Water Bay peninsula, HKUST also boasts one of the most scenic campuses in the world.
HKUST comprises around 650 internationally respected and diverse faculty members, with about 10,000 undergraduate and 5,600 postgraduate students. It promotes interdisciplinary studies and a strong entrepreneurial spirit in a diverse learning environment that enhances student development of creativity, innovative thinking and a global outlook. English is the language used in teaching, research and administration.
HKUST is seeking applications and nominations for the position of Vice-President for Research and Development (VP-RD). Reporting to and working closely with the President as part of the senior leadership team, major areas of responsibilities of the VP-RD include but are not limited to:
- providing the overall leadership and strategic development of university-wide research agenda and overseeing related central research facilities, institutes and centers;
- working closely with the senior management team and the University community at large to provide leadership in research and knowledge transfer by encouraging and facilitating research and engagement among faculty and students, University-industry collaboration, technology advancement and active entrepreneurial developments;
- developing and facilitating directions and scopes for research and knowledge transfer in Clear Water Bay campus while creating synergies in research and knowledge transfer between the Clear Water Bay and Guangzhou campuses;
- building partnerships with a variety of constituencies including domestic, regional and international researchers and academics, education institutions, public and private sectors, and funding bodies;
- serving as a member of the University’s senior management team to advance the overall well-being and to address any particular challenges and risks faced by HKUST.
The VP-RD is expected to be a well-recognized researcher with international standing, high academic qualifications and a record of outstanding contributions to scholarship with evidence of research impact; together with vision, energy and commitment as well as substantial administrative experiences in leading the University’s research and development activities to the next level of excellence.
Terms & Applications/Nominations
The post of VPRD is a full-time appointment, normally for an initial term of 5 years, and renewable subject to mutual agreement. Competitive remuneration and generous fringe benefits, including housing where appropriate, will be provided.
Applications/nominations, together with a full curriculum vitae and the names and addresses of three referees, should be sent to Heidrick & Struggles Hong Kong Ltd by email to email@example.com. Review of candidates will begin shortly and continue until the position is filled.
HKUST is committed to diversity in recruitment and equal opportunity employment. Additional information about HKUST is available on the website https://hkust.edu.hk/.
(Information provided by applicants will be used for recruitment and other employment-related purposes.)