External Link to Posting
Location of Workplace
Main UNCW Campus
Counseling Center - 40240
Student Affairs - 40000 Division
Brief Summary of Work for this Position
The Staff Psychologist/Counselor provides appropriate counseling or referrals services for students, with a focus on student health and well-being.
- Engages in appropriate professional practice as outlined by
legal and ethical standards
- Participates in the development and delivery of proactive,
psycho-education programming initiatives as needed
- Participates in the after-hours and on-call rotation
- Provides general and clinical supervision services as
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with campus
colleagues in order to provide services which meet the assessed
needs of campus
- Provides consultation and training services for the campus
community regarding social and emotional needs for
- Provides administrative duties as requested or assigned
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
For a counselor, a Master’s degree in Counseling, Social Work, clinical or counseling psychology or another clinically related field with at least 1 year of post-Master’s experience is required.
For a psychologist, an earned doctorate in counseling or clinical psychology is required.
- Experience providing clinical counseling services to a college
aged population as well as working with the issues and concerns
exhibited in a college aged population is required.
- Experience in providing crisis intervention services is
- Experience in developing and providing psycho-educational programming for a college-aged population is required as are strong interpersonal, oral and writing skills.
- Current licensure/certification or eligibility for appropriate licensure/certification in the State of North Carolina is required. Once licensed, NC licensure must be maintained to remain eligible for employment.
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- An earned doctorate in counseling or clinical psychology is
- At least 3years of experience providing counseling services
within a college counseling center setting is strongly
- Experience with administration, clinical supervision,
progressive outreach programming and campus consultation services
is strongly preferred.
- Professional association involvement is strongly
- Additional expertise in at least one other area, including but not limited to, multicultural concerns, groups, outreach, developmental issues, mood management, mind-body principles, crisis management, substance abuse, clinical training, supervision, technology or data/records management is highly desired
Primary Purpose of Organizational Unit
- Provides general counseling (individual, relationship, and/or
group), development and delivery of outreach programming,
consultation, crisis intervention, referral services.
- Provides general and clinical training and supervision as appropriate to the needs of the Counseling Center
The University of North Carolina Wilmington, the state’s coastal university, is dedicated to the integration of teaching, mentoring, research and service. Widely acknowledged for its world-class faculty and staff and continuously recognized at a national level for scholarly excellence and affordability, UNCW offers a powerful academic experience that stimulates creative inquiry and critical thinking and a community rich in diversity, inclusion and global perspectives.
A public institution with nearly 18,000 students, UNCW offers a full range of baccalaureate- and graduate-level programs, as well as doctoral degrees in educational leadership, marine biology, nursing practice and psychology; and many distance learning options, including clinical research, an accelerated RN-to- BSN program, an Executive M.B.A. program structured for working professionals, and the nation’s only bachelor’s degree program focused on coastal engineering.
The university’s efforts to advance research and scholarly activities have earned UNCW the elevated designation of “Doctoral Universities: High Research Activity” institution (R2 University) by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
UNCW has been part of the University of North Carolina System since 1969
At the University of North Carolina at Wilmington ( UNCW ), our culture reflects our values of inclusion, diversity, globalization, ethics and integrity and innovation and we are committed to providing equality of educational and employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, sex (such as gender, gender identity, marital status, childbirth, and pregnancy), age, color, national origin (including ethnicity), religion, disability, sexual orientation, political affiliation, veteran status, military service member status, genetic information, or relationship to other university constituents – except where sex, age, or ability represent bona fide educational or occupational qualifications or where marital status is a statutorily established eligibility criterion for State funded employee benefit programs. UNCW believes that embracing the unique contributions of our faculty, staff and students is critical to our success and paramount in being recognized for our global mindset.
Special Notes to Applicants
To receive full consideration, please be sure you have completed the ‘Work History’ section of the application before you apply for this position.
Also, please provide a cover letter that describes which specific skill set you are interested in and your work experience that will support being successful in this role.
Three or more professional references are required. A “Demo Reel” is not a part of the application process.
For more info/to apply visit http://jobs.uncw.edu. Applications must be submitted through the online application system to be considered.
Months Per Year
Type of Position
Anticipated Ending Date if Time-Limited Positions
Job Posting Date
Posting Close Date
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vita
- Demo Reel
- List of 3 Professional References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity with UNC Wilmington
- UNCW Website
- UNCW Facebook Page
- UNCW Linkedin Page
- UNCW Twitter Account
- UNCW Employee Referral
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Inside Higher Ed
- North Carolina Job Network
- Women In Higher Education
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Counsellor Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington
- Social Work & Human Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Wilmington