Electrician (2 positions)
To create a Posting, first complete the information on this screen, then click the 'Next' button or select the page in the left hand navigation menu. Proceed through all sections completing all necessary information. To submit the Posting to Human Resources, you must go to the 'Posting Summary Page' by clicking on the 'Next' button until you reach the Posting Summary Page or select Posting Summary Page from the left navigation menu. Once a summary page appears, hover your mouse over the orange Action button for a list of possible approval step options.
Working Title Electrician (2 positions) Department Electric Shop Compensation Title Position Number 30000596/30000603 Position Status Regular Work Schedule
Mon-Fri 7:00 am – 3:30 pm or 6:30am-3pm
Hours per Week 40 Months per Year 12 Commitment to Inclusive Excellence
Northern Kentucky University is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action institution. We embrace inclusiveness, equity, and global awareness in all dimensions of our work and seek excellence through diversity among our students, administrators, faculty, and staff. Application by members of diverse groups is encouraged.
Purpose of Position
Performs repairs, installations, and modification to systems and equipment, including but not limited to campus electrical systems, fire alarms systems, lighting systems, and clock systems. Work schedule including day and hours are subject to change depending on the needs of the University and Facilities Management Operations & Maintenance Department. This position is “mission critical”.
1. Safely install, maintain, troubleshoot and repair electrical systems, equipment, circuits, appliances, and related electrical controls and devices. Inspect and certify work is in compliance with state and local electrical codes.
2. Follow a predetermined schedule of preventive maintenance on equipment and circuits to check for proper operation, loose connections, overheating, leaking, insulation, arcing, deterioration, cleanliness, vibration, alignment, and lubrication.
3. Uses ladders, scaffolds, personnel lifts, cherry pickers and buckets to replace outdoor lighting and lighting in high-ceiling facilities such as the HPE pool area, racquetball courts, main activity floor, Regents Hall, etc.
4. Troubleshoot motors, motor control circuits, across the line starters, reduce voltage starters (auto transformer, resister), reversing starters, electrical systems in hazardous locations, battery banks and battery chargers.
5. Test, maintain, and repair all emergency electrical equipment.
6. Responds to emergency trouble calls during and after regular working hours as required by supervisory personnel. Works overtime and adjusts schedule to work weekends and evenings, as needed to accomplish tasks.
7. Inspects equipment and tools to ensure they are safe and in good working order. Report malfunctioning equipment to supervisory personnel.
8. Interpret plans, sketches, wiring diagrams, and specifications; identify all electrical terms and symbols.
9. Assist with switchgear and high voltage maintenance.
10. Perform related duties as assigned and assist other trades as needed.
Vocational/Technical certification in electrical services or related field with 2 years experience preferred; acceptable equivalency would be High school diploma/ GED with 3 years of related commercial electrical experience/electrical proficiency as demonstrated by past work history; Must possess valid driver’s license; Requires physical ability to stand, bend, reach, stoop, kneel, walk, perform work while standing on ladders or overhead, push, pull, and perform medium heavy to maximum physical exertion.
Any candidate who is offered this position will be required to go through a pre-employment criminal background check as mandated by state law.
Minimum Education High School Diploma Preferred Education Technical School Certificate Minimum Experience 2 years Salary $16.55/hr Pay Grade S68
Requisition Number 2021S1313 Job Open Date 01/27/2019 Job Close Date Open Until Filled No Quick Link https://jobs.nku.edu/postings/9985 Is this an internal only posting? Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- NKU Jobs Site
- Inside Higher Ed
- Employee Referral
- Do you have a valid driver's license and are you permitted to
drive without restrictions?
- No Response
- Do you possess the ability perform medium heavy to maximum
physical exertion and to lift 50 lbs. or more on a regular basis?
- Please describe in detail your electrical experience.
(Open Ended Question)
- Do you have significant commercial electrical experience?
(Open Ended Question)
Required DocumentsOptional Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application