Instructor, Media Production
Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Position Number F67330 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Teaching and Research Faculty Rank Instructor Working Title Instructor, Media Production School/Unit College of Humanities and Sciences Department Robertson School Number of Months 9 Tenure Status Non-Tenure Eligible Grant funded position? No
Mission or Goal of Unit
The Virginia Commonwealth University Richard T. Robertson School of Media and Culture prepares effective and skilled communicators through quality instruction, advising and student services based on real world applications. Through research, professional service and scholarship in applied communications, the School advances the knowledge and practice of a multi-disciplinary and evolving media environment. The School values truth, ethics, creativity, innovation, collaboration, cultural diversity, shared governance and community engagement.
This is an exciting time to be at VCU and a great opportunity to join our forward-thinking school. VCU is one of the nation’s premier urban, public research universities. With more than 31,000 students, it is one of the largest universities in Virginia. The Robertson School is accredited by ACEJMC and has approximately 900 students. The Robertson School attracts a diverse student body and about 50% of our students are racially and ethnically diverse and/or members of other diverse groups.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
This position will contribute to helping the Robertson School of Media and Culture meet its Quest goals by increasing its teaching power in media production classes (Quest 1) and contributing to the School’s community engagement (Theme IV).
1. Teach undergraduate media production courses with a special focus on teaching audio/video/multimedia production, TV studio production, animation, gaming and/or data visualization. Teaching assignments for media production classes in the Robertson School graduate programs are also possible.
2. Must be able to teach Adobe Creative Cloud, especially Premiere Pro, Audition, After Effects and Photoshop, and to teach media production to students in the School’s other academic programs in advertising, journalism, and public relations.
2. Service: This faculty member will serve on School committees (as well as College and/or University committees as needed), contributing to the well-being of the School and the VCU community.
(1) A master’s degree in mass communication or in a related field
(2) Relevant professional experience that includes media production
(3) A proven track record of inspiring, guiding and mentoring others to reach their full potential
(4) High expectations for students.
1. Successful college teaching experience is highly preferred.
2. An ability to teach innovative media production skills is strongly preferred.
3. Preferred candidates will have a successful record of working with diverse and underserved populations and a demonstrated potential to do so at Virginia Commonwealth University.
Date Posted 01/25/2021 Open Until Filled Yes Application Deadline Date Proposed Hire Date 08/16/2021 Type of Search National Application Process/Additional Information
As a preeminent national, urban, public research university and academic health center, Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to organizational diversity, equity and inclusion – an environment where all can thrive in their pursuit of excellence.
Applicants are requested to submit a Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (typically between 150-300 words) providing your career aspirations and contributions toward promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Through this statement, you can share how your lived experiences, and academic and professional activities will impact your contribute to VCU’s mission of promoting equity and inclusion.
Note: Examples include working with others to further the goals of equity and inclusion; leading in any capacity that tangibly promotes an environment where diversity is welcomed, fostered, and celebrated; creative activity, research and scholarship that promotes equity and parity; teaching and mentoring students, and/or engaging with faculty and/or staff from traditionally underrepresented groups to create a positive and successful organizational experience.
In addition, please submit the following application materials at VCUJOBS .com: (1) A letter of application addressed to Dr. Tim Bajkiewicz, Chair of the Search Committee; (2) a current curriculum vitae (including the names and contact information of three references); and (3) the following items as one PDF file or links to these materials: three non-returnable samples of teaching materials and/or professional work and three non-returnable samples of student work (if available). Review of applicants will begin on February 15, 2021. The position remains open until filled. For additional information, contact Dr. Tim Bajkiewicz at email@example.com or visit the School’s website at http://robertson.vcu.edu.
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Posted Salary Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/103022 Diversity Statement Information For more information on diversity statements, including guidelines, please click here . Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Diversity Statement (Required for all Faculty)