Part-Time Skills Instructor, Fire Science
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance .
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-Kingwood
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of seven colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, was named a 2017 Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-Kingwood, an innovative and dynamic community college located in the pine-forested suburbs of northeast Houston, has an opening for someone interested in working with a diverse group of colleagues who want to make a difference in the lives of students and grow professionally. Kingwood focuses on fulfilling individual dreams and enhancing community life and offers unique programs in respiratory care, computer gaming and dental hygiene.
Campus address is 20000 Kingwood Drive, Kingwood, TX 77339.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Part time Fire Science Skills Instructors work with Faculty/Instructors to provide students with hands-on experience in a controlled laboratory environment. Assists Faculty/Instructors in providing learning activities and support that will lead to the achievement of course objectives. Primary responsibility is to assist in teaching course material within the curriculum in a manner that facilitates student learning.
Skills Instructors are hired on an as-needed basis, and may not work more than 19.5 hours per week. Schedule may include days or evenings with occasional weekends as assigned, depending on the needs of the department.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Primary responsibility is to supervise and assist in skills instruction for students in the Structural Firefighter Recruit Program
- Under the supervision of a Faculty member or Instructor, teaches and coaches Recruit Firefighters during their Academy experience
- Maintains regular communication and coordination with course instructor(s)
- Assists in live fire evolutions and other rescue simulations
- Submits student learning reports and grade sheets. Completes other paperwork as requested by Instructor, which may include but is not limited to time sheets, program evaluations, and student evaluations
- Remains informed of new technologies in Fire Science and approaches to learning
- Notifies the Instructor incidents in the classroom or lab environment and provides regular reports of student progress
- Monitors laboratory safety protocols
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to mentor students in the lab setting
- Broad knowledge of Fire Sciences and the ability to handle the day-to-day operations of the Fire Sciences lab
- Ability and commitment to work collaboratively
- Commitment to multi-cultural and multi-generational diversity
- Commitment to the mission of the comprehensive community college
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and computer skills
- Commitment to quality service to students
- Ability to manage and lead change
- Frequent lifting of equipment – may include above the head; ability to lift and carry 100 pounds
- Frequent standing for long periods of time
- Have a concept of time and ability to record seconds, minutes, and hours from a watch or clock
- Ability to listen to an individual speak through a radio and be able to respond in an audible and intelligible manner
- Ability to walk and work in small spaces, various weather conditions, and various physical environments
- Tactile and visual ability sufficient for physical assessment
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS :
- Work schedule varies, Monday thru Thursday, days and evenings
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment as well as all equipment generally used in Fire Science professions
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards as well as in Fire Science labs where safety precautions must be observed at all times
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS :
- High School Diploma or GED and at least 3 year of experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Texas Commission on Fire Protection Level I Instructor or Fire Education Specialist Level I
- Texas Commission on Fire Protection Field Examiner
- Texas Department of Health Emergency Care Attendant (ECA) or higher
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS :
- Teaching experience
- Four years of experience as a firefighter with a 911 service provider
Hourly Pay Rate is $25.11
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in a tax deferred retirement plan and more.
All applicants for Full Time Faculty and Adjunct Faculty positions are required to provide a cover letter and unofficial transcripts for consideration for employment with Lone Star College.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume. You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Part Time jobs in Kingwood
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Part Time jobs in Kingwood
- Geology & Earth Sciences Not specified Part Time jobs in Kingwood
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Part Time jobs in Kingwood
- Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Kingwood