Adult Educator - English as a Second Language (ESL)
ADULT EDUCATOR – ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE (ESL)
WILBUR WRIGHT COLLEGE
The Adult Education Department of Wilbur Wright College, one of the City Colleges of Chicago, seeks a part-time Adult Educator with a passion for teaching and learning along with a strong commitment to the mission and ideals of the community college. This position is responsible for providing instruction in English as a Second Language (ESL) to students enrolled in the Adult Education program by engaging in and modeling intellectual curiosity. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated success in the classroom developing and utilizing highly effective teaching strategies that meet students’ diverse needs and promote the acquisition and application of knowledge as well as the development of critical and creative thinking and problem solving skills.
• Develops class syllabi and appropriate class materials and curriculum for classroom instruction.
• Takes attendance, monitors class enrollment and retention, and enters information into PeopleSoft or the appropriate student system in a timely manner.
• Evaluates student progress and extra instruction needs. Refers student to additional services, as needed.
• Administers progress tests to students and assigns grades based on test results.
• Prepares reports to senior management regarding test scores, student participation, and student progress.
• Keeps abreast of state and federal rules and regulations regarding Adult Education policies.
• Attends regular staff meetings with Adult Education staff and administration to receive information regarding program policies and procedures.
• Assists with program registration and orientation.
• Participates in staff development programs, as required.
• Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited college/university in a discipline appropriate to instructional subject, preferably English, Mathematics, Reading, Elementary or Secondary Education, Social Science, Science, History, ABE/GED Education, and/or Education required.
• Master’s Degree from a regionally accredited college/university in Curriculum and Instruction, Teaching, Reading, Mathematics, Educational Policy, Literacy Studies, Adult Education, Secondary Education or Elementary Education preferred.
• International degree(s) evaluated by a certified provider (e.g. E.C.E., W.E.S., etc.).
• Passed the GED practice examination and/or the K-12 certification examination for the subject area that they will be teaching.
• Completed or in the process of completing the STAR Reading Program (for Reading & General Studies Adult Educators) with at least one of the following preferred:
- Verified significant instructional experience with adults or other discipline related experience.
- Fifteen (15) or more graduate hours in the discipline to be taught.
- Current enrollment in a subject appropriate Master’s Degree program at an accredited university/college.
All interested candidates, including current CCC employees, must submit the following documents for review:
• Resume reflecting knowledge of current adult education classroom assessment techniques.
• Official transcript(s) reflecting sufficient subject-relevant coursework to teach the assigned course.
• Sample lesson plans, syllabi, and/or teaching portfolio that reflect skills in area(s) of instruction, including computer literacy and adult learning practices.
Completion of satisfactory teaching demonstration for the hiring committee will be required at time of interview.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago!