NSI Senior Research Associate – Hypersonics
The Research & Innovation Office at CU Boulder is encouraging applications for a Hypersonics Senior Research Associate, who will support efforts to grow the campus's National security-related research enterprise. This position will report directly to the Director, National Security Initiative (NSI) within the Research and Innovation Office (RIO). You will be responsible for developing groundbreaking research associated with the National Security research portfolio, identifying new sponsored research opportunities with DoD and Intelligence Community partners, and preparing and executing Hypersonics strategic proposals in collaboration with the NSI support staff.
The candidate must have a detailed understanding of the current U.S. activities on hypersonics, both in terms of weapons development and approaches to counter hypersonics. The position will involve proposal and strategic portfolio development and include growing the applied research portfolio in Hypersonics.
The Hypersonics Senior Research Associate must have a customer-centric, results-focused mentality with the ability to operate in a sophisticated and dynamic environment to attain the strategic goals of the rapidly growing CU Boulder national security portfolio.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The University of Colorado Boulder’s Research and Innovation Office (RIO) is the central point for support and advocacy for CU Boulder’s world-class scholarship, creative work, and research. The National Security Initiative is dedicated to providing high-impact national security research enabled by world-class research scientists and essential infrastructure. As the sole Tier-1 research institution in Colorado and the top public University in NASA funding, CU Boulder is well-positioned for continued growth to the current $45M per year DoD research portfolio. Colorado’s $15.4B Aerospace & Defense Economy and a strong ecosystem of defense prime contractors, entrepreneurs, and Federal partners further strengthen our opportunity to grow our strategic impact on National Security research.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Develop and apply computational tools for analysis of various aspects of hypersonic vehicle performance and phenomena including aerothermodynamics, materials, structures, propulsion, signatures, and mission design.
- Develop research proposals, key research tasks, and deliverables in support of DoD, IC, and Aerospace and Defense Industry customers.
- Provide technical leadership of research projects or project subtasks and coordination across academic departments and research groups for interdisciplinary efforts.
- Summarize results and provide required documentation and SW/HW deliverables to sponsors.
- Engage Government and Industry sponsors, with support from NSI Staff, to shape strategic Hypersonics research opportunities and win research contracts.
- Understand and communicate key challenges and R&D priorities regarding DoD and other national security organizations to develop the CU Boulder Hypersonics portfolio.
- Provide recommended prioritization of new sponsored research opportunities to the NSI leadership team.
- Establish and bring to bear a professional network with key customers, influencers, and executive decision-makers in the national security community and gain insight into strategic direction, policies, R&D priorities, allocated budgets, and plans associated with relevant national security programs.
What You Should Know
- Due to the requirement to access export-controlled data and information, only U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents (green cards), or other protected individuals (i.e., persons designated as an asylee, refugee, or a temporary resident under amnesty provisions) may apply.
- Travel out-of-state will be required.
- Irregular work hours including evenings and weekends may be required.
What We Can Offer
We offer a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, along with a generous benefits package. The salary range is $110,000-$140,000. Relocation expenses may be available per department guidelines.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Accomplished. Be Groundbreaking. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- PhD in Aerospace Engineering or a related field.
- A minimum of ten years of experience in the Aerospace and Defense Industry or Government in a research role.
- Proven expertise in the development and application of Hypersonics computational tools.
What You Will Need
- Demonstrated record of success and credibility within both the national security and academic communities.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills; strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated high-level critical thinking and organizational skills.
- Ability to work within a sophisticated, dynamic, matrixed structure across colleges and university administration and externally with Government and Industry partners.
What We Would Like You To Have
- A minimum of two years of experience working in a collaborative and interdisciplinary role at, or with, an academic or research institution.
- Proven track record leading research efforts in support of DoD or Aerospace and Defense Industry.
- Program management, Contracting, and/or Business Development experience in the Federal Government or Industry.
- Active and or previous security clearance with the ability to acquire clearance.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter: Please upload a cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and responsibilities of the position.
For first consideration, please apply by March 30th. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Angela Skovira
Posting Contact Email: Angela.Skovira@Colorado.EDU
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Institutional Research & Planning Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Research Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder