Senior Administrative Asst. Health Svcs. Part Time
Senior Administrative Asst. Health Svcs. Part Time
The Senior Administrative Assistant for Health Services is responsible for greeting, assisting, and directing patients as they arrive in Student Health Services; to deliver effective customer service to individuals that contact Health Services and to provide administrative support to the Health Services office and staff.
Essential Job Functions of Position
The employee must maintain a high standard of confidentiality vis-a-vis patient health information.
Patient Care Facilitation
• Greet, assist, and direct patients as they arrive to determine patient needs and direct them for assistance. Scan ID cards to verify eligibility for services.
• Distribute and collect forms to obtain current patient demographic information and consent for treatment; review completed forms to verify that they have been fully and legibly completed. Follow up with patients as needed to ensure information is complete and clear. Analyze information on completed forms and followup with patients to preliminarily determine patient needs and initiate appropriate action to facilitate patient flow.
• Create, update, and maintain patient charts adding appropriate forms and dating new entries or visits to ensure information is current and accurate. File patient charts as appropriate to activity (waiting for lab results, referral, patient files, etc.).
• Respond to phone calls from patients and health agencies, obtaining information specific to callers’ needs to initiate appropriate action/response.
• Review and assess requests for copies of medical records. Review requests with staff for verification and approval, copy, and forward records as requested.
• Compile and organize materials and collect fees to assist in coordinating Washburn University and Washburn Institute of Technology vaccination clinics.
• Ensure that prescriptions are promptly refilled. Log refill requests and forward them to providers along with patient charts. Notify patients when refills are ready. Forward completed forms to pharmacies and other health care entities for authorization. Assist staff and patients in patient assistance programs.
• Assist Health Services staff in arranging discharge transportation needs of patients as appropriate.
• Assist students with COVID -19 care questions.
Provide administrative office support and associated duties.
• Open and close the office as needed.
• Answer the telephone, record, and relay messages and information to the correct recipient to facilitate communication between patients and staff. Draft and prepare letters, compile data and information, format, and type reports, as requested by staff. Develop and revise forms as needed to collect information that will allow timely appropriate services are rendered to patients.
• Assist with the use and maintenance of office equipment and assist with equipment use as needed. Collect and distribute department mail, track shipment, and receipt of packages and follow up as necessary to ensure proper delivery.
• Identify and reserve meeting space, compile data and information, copy and assemble handouts, notify/invite participants of meetings, and perform other tasks to assist staff with planning, organizing, and scheduling meetings and events.
• Process receipts for services, accept payment for services received, and issue receipts.
• Purge patient files every semester to remove those who have graduated or left the University. Annually purge and destroy patient files more than ten years old.
• Perform additional job-related duties as assigned or as appropriate.
Non-Essential Job Functions of Position
• Transport specimens to KDHE if available and appropriate. Maintain electronic patient care calendars for Student Health
Education and Experience
High school diploma, GED, or equivalent. Two years of experience providing administrative support, or completion of a course of study at the postsecondary level in Office Management/Support and one year of experience providing administrative support, or a college degree and work experience in an office environment.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Experience handling money. Proven ability to maintain confidentiality and work independently. Proficiency in multitasking and with Microsoft Office and Excel.
Preferred: Working knowledge of medical terms. Education and certification in Basic Cardiac Life Support. Work experience in health care in a university or school environment. Medical Terminology Certificate or successful completion of coursework in Medical Terminology. Bookkeeping/accounting experience.
Licenses, Certifications & Registrations
Additional Requirements (e.g. Physical Demands)
Campus Security Authority
Special Instructions to Applicant
The successful candidate will be expected to complete a 5-hour online contact tracing course provided by Johns Hopkins.
$11.39 per hour with a potential for a higher rate commensurate with experience and qualifications
Average Hours per Week
Months per Year
Washburn is dedicated to providing a student-centered and teaching focused academic environment and a curriculum that engages the diversity of human experience across the globe. We seek candidates who are committed to Washburn’s efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Application materials should clearly articulate how the candidate will contribute to the University’s commitment to diversity and inclusion through their teaching, research, and/or service.
Washburn University is an EOE . Washburn University provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or marital or parental status.
Background Check Required?
Driving History Checked?
Drug Screen Required?
Anticipated Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
For earliest consideration apply by
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled?
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have two years of experience providing administrative
support, or completion of a course of study at the post-secondary
level in office management/support and 1 year of experience
providing administrative support, or a college degree and work
experience in an office environment.
- * Do you have a high school diploma, GED or equivalent?
- * Do you have experience working with Microsoft Office Excel?
- Cover Letter