*These positions will work weekends. Please see work schedule
Under the work lead direction of the Lead Custodians and the direct
supervision of the Assistant Director for Custodial Operations, the
Custodian performs all duties in their specific assigned work area
and is responsible for performing duties in other work areas as
needed in University Housing Services. Work areas are located
within residential facilities and/or administrative offices and
include the Classics residence halls, the Campus Village
residential facilities and/or the trash/recycling rooms. Incumbents
are responsible for maintaining the appearance and cleanliness of
their work areas. The Custodian is required to use safe, approved
methods and frequencies, which have been approved by University
Housing Services. This position will be assigned to work
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Clean community and common area bathroom
- Perform housekeeping duties
- Maintain appearance and cleanliness of residential
- Coordinate residential facilities trash and recycling
- Coordinate Overnight Guest Program Needs
- Motorized Equipment Usage
- Ability to read and write at a level appropriate to the duties
of the position.
- Ability to exercise care and follow instructions when using
janitorial supplies or equipment as well as follow simple oral and
- Ability to multi-task to support the “One Stop Shop” model of
Higher Education Customer Service and coordinate deadlines.
- Ability to use proper equipment including vacuum, high speed
floor buffing machine, regular floor buffer, standard carpet
extractor, portable upholstery cleaner and wet/dry vacuum.
- Excellent customer service and public relation skills.
- Ability to perform complex tasks involving independent
judgment, accuracy and speed.
- Ability to understand, interpret and apply policies and
regulations in specific situations.
- Ability to observe rules, regulations and expectations to
ensure a safe working environment.
- Ability to work alone as well as with other staff when assigned
to do so.
- Ability to work flexible hours, weekdays and weekends as
- Ability to handle a high degree of customer contact.
- Ability to be fingerprinted—must not have been convicted of a
crime in which punishment could have been imprisonment in a federal
or state prison.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle
sensitive communications with employees and external agencies.
- Ability to work alternative work schedule including weekdays,
weekends and some holidays
- Ability to complete Defensive Drivers Training Program provided
by State of California for CSU campuses.
- Possession of a valid California Driver's License for the
operation of any vehicle or equipment.
- Ability to communicate verbally at a level appropriate to the
duties of the position; ability to follow simple oral and written
directions; ability to understand chemical/product mixing ratios
and ability to label containers accordingly.
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of
state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of
California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance
with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive
Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for
California State University campuses.
- High School Diploma and/or equivalent training
- Experience working in a residential or university
- Experience working with custodial cleaning equipment
- 2 years of experience as a custodian
Anticipated Hiring Salary: $2,800 - $3,003/month
Hiring Range: $2,705/month - $4,196/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits
package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more
information on programs available, please see the
Employee Benefits Summary
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application
and attach the following documents:
All applicants must apply within the specified application period:
January 25, 2021 through February 14, 2021
. This position
is open until filled; however, applications received after
screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the
Saturday – Wednesday, 8:00 am to 4:30pm
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal
records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a
contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may
be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying
information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly
withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily
complete the background check may affect the continued employment
of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment
and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor
vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks
are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate
Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU
will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of
required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS.
(e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated
reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting
Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in
CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to
nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship
status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic
information, marital status, medical condition, national origin,
race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation,
transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable
federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students,
faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the
Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state
laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education
programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off
January 25, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard