Assistant Professor, Psychology
The Department of Psychology and The Water School at Florida Gulf Coast University seek candidates with research interests in environmental psychology for an Assistant Professor position starting in Fall 2021. The successful candidate will work across disciplines to investigate psychological, social, and/or behavioral issues involved in environmental change, particularly as it relates to water. Excellence in oral and written communication is required. You will teach at both the undergraduate and graduate level as applicable, and will teach for both the Department of Psychology (2/3) and The Water School (1/3). Undergraduate courses may include Environmental Psychology, Research Methods in Psychology, and Survey of Analytical Techniques.
As Assistant Professor of Psychology, you will teach at both undergraduate and graduate levels, as applicable; be involved in course and/or curriculum development; conduct research/scholarship; participate on College and University committees and/or initiatives; and perform other duties as assigned.
There is also opportunity for faculty to work with the university’s new Center for Critical Race and Ethnic Studies. A fundamental value of FGCU is an unambiguous commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. Recognizing that diverse viewpoints strengthen teams and enrich learning, we seek candidates whose experience and personal philosophy will enhance the diversity of faculty in FGCU’s Environmental programs. Non-traditional career pathways that broaden the variety of perspectives within our team are highly welcomed.
Florida Gulf Coast University is a comprehensive university dedicated to quality education, research, and service. All faculty are expected to: be excellent teachers, responsive to changing professional needs; be committed to innovative delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning; be committed to effective use of technology including distance learning; produce peer reviewed scholarship; and provide service to the College, University and Community. Teaching assignments may be on the main campus or at off-campus sites within our region.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
- Plans and teaches courses in assigned course.
- Prepares syllabi, instruction materials, coordinates lectures, tests, and evaluates.
- Maintains highest possible standards of classroom instruction.
- Keeps abreast of new information and developments in field of instruction.
- Actively serves on university committees.
- Actively participates in institutional meetings.
- Maintains professional skills through regular professional development, and other activities appropriate to higher education faculty.
- Assists with the development of curriculum.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Additional Job Description
- Ph.D. in Psychology, or related area from a regionally accredited institution or equivalent accreditation.
- Must meet the University and College criteria for the appointment to the level of Assistant Professor.
- ABD will be considered if degree is conferred by August 7, 2021. If successful candidate is ABD, appointment will be made at a Lecturer level on a fixed contract.
- Ph.D. in Environmental Psychology, Experimental Psychology, or related area .
- Interdisciplinary teaching and research perspective with well-defined research goals. Willingness to engage in service opportunities commensurate with career maturity.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience with and commitment to the use of instructional technology, a willingness to cultivate an interdisciplinary perspective; and a demonstrated commitment to professional development.
- Experience or commitment to the use of technology in distance learning & university teaching. Interest in collaborating both within and outside the University in the development and delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning. Must value continued scholarship and service to the school and university.
- Ability to contribute effectively and collegially to a positive, dynamic, and inclusive learning environment for a diverse student population.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Appointment will be made on a 9-month multi-year appointment basis available August 2021.
Because applications and materials are subject to public review and retention under Florida’s Public Records Law, please DO NOT send examples of your project/scholarship unless requested to do so. Therefore all submitted materials including articles, disks, slides, books, etc., become the property of FGCU and CANNOT BE RETURNED. As applicable, finalists will be notified of the need to submit specific additional materials. Such materials will become the property of FGCU.
Under Florida’s Public Records law, applications will be available for public review upon request.
Required Application Materials:
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Curriculum Vitae
Additional Materials (the application will ask you to upload any additional required documents from the job posting.) The following are the additional that should be uploaded in that section:
- Cover Letter that describes interest in the position
- Research Statement that describes how you will incorporate undergraduate students in your research
- A statement identifying your past contributions to equity, diversity and inclusion. Illustrate how your scholarship, teaching, service, or other work history will support FGCU’s commitment to EDI in higher education, including potential to work with a culturally diverse faculty, student body and broader community (maximum 1 page).
The position is listed as “open until filled”, however applications received by Friday February 26, 2021 will receive priority consideration.
FGCU is an EOE AA /F/Vet/Disability Employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers
- Curriculum & Instruction Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers
- Social & Behavioral Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers
- Criminal Justice & Criminology Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Myers