Assistant Professor Chemistry, Tenure Track
Date: January 26, 2021
Title: Assistant Professor Chemistry, Tenure Track
Position Number: 1108
Schedule: 32 weeks (Fall & Winter Semesters)
Compensation: $59,941 (Master’s Degree), $65,241 (Ph.D.)
Reflects Fall 2021 negotiated salary.
Start Date: Fall 2021
Reports to: Associate Dean, School of Arts & Science
Closing date: February 26, 2021
The College is interested in faculty who: (1) possess an interest in working with diverse student populations who represent a wide range of age, ethnicity, national origin, and ability; (2) engage in and develop innovative teaching methods; (3) demonstrate a commitment to continuous improvement, individually and for the College. GRCC has an excellent benefits program and the Faculty Association contract provides opportunities to earn additional compensation.
- Teach all levels of introductory and general chemistry lectures and labs.
- Develop and implement teaching techniques that employ interactive learning, audiovisual, and computer technology.
- Teach other courses offered in the Physical Sciences department.
- Develop plans of instruction for both online and in-person modalities.
- Provide leadership through the coordination of teams of adjunct faculty for both lecture and laboratory courses as needed.
- Advise students on academic programs and careers related to the STEM fields and mentor science majors through independent study, honors projects and/or community service learning projects.
- Engage in professional development and continuous improvement related to the field of chemistry.
- Assist other chemistry faculty in course and curriculum development, evaluation, and revision, including leading benchmarking efforts for course transferability.
- Participate fully as a member of the Physical Sciences Department in activities such as department meetings, committee membership, cross-campus team membership, textbook selection, assessment projects, and other duties as determined by the College.
- Adhere to the standards and requirements expressed in the Faculty Contract.
- Incorporate and assist with the maintenance of instrumentation into the laboratory classroom as needed.
- Master’s Degree in Chemistry with an emphasis in physical, inorganic or biochemistry or Master’s Degree in a related field with at least 18 graduate credits in Chemistry required.
- D. in Chemistry or Chemical Education is preferred
- Experience teaching chemistry at the college or university level is required; a minimum of two years full-time or equivalent is preferred.
- Experience teaching chemistry at the community college level is preferred.
- Experience using multi-media, computers, and demonstrations in lecture and laboratory settings.
- Experience with the repair and maintenance of common laboratory equipment is preferred.
Equipment Use/Knowledge/Skills/Abilities required
- Appropriate technology required to perform the duties of the position
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- An understanding of and appreciation for the community college philosophy and student population.
- An interest in working with diverse student populations, who represent a wide range of age, ethnicity, national origin and ability.
- A commitment to serve the Kent County community.
- Demonstrated initiative and organizational and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to perform routine and unexpected duties with minimum supervision.
- High energy level with enthusiasm and interest in helping and supporting students, staff, and the general public.
- Ability to work under pressure while possessing mature judgment and flexibility in regards to interruptions and schedule changes.
- Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations in a pleasant and professional manner.
- Ability to work in a high traffic, indoor office environment.
- Classroom environment in an academic setting.
- Travel to offsite locations may be required
Method of application
To apply for this position, please visit our website at www.grcc.edu/jobs Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position. Submit a cover letter, resume, unofficial transcripts, and three professional reference letters for full consideration. The opportunity to apply for this position will close on February 26, 2021. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Visa sponsorship is not available.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track $50,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Grand Rapids
- Education Tenured/Tenured Track $50,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Grand Rapids
- Curriculum & Instruction Tenured/Tenured Track $50,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Grand Rapids
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Tenured/Tenured Track $50,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Grand Rapids
- Chemistry & Biochemistry Tenured/Tenured Track $50,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in Grand Rapids