Director, Student Services (PRN25033B)
The Director of Academic Advising develops and oversees all
strategic planning for the David Eccles School of Business undergraduate
advising program in support of the University of Utah and David Eccles
School of Business goals and mission. The director works closely with the
Executive Director, academic advising staff, undergraduate students, academic
departments, faculty, other undergraduate programs, and various university
partners to ensure continuity and quality of service.
University of Utah Job ID# PRN25033B - 01420 - Advising (Sch of Business)
COMPENSATION: $65,000 - $80,000
WORK SCHEDULE: Full Time
1. Directs the development and implementation of academic advising
objectives that are comprehensive, appropriate, and consistent with
University of Utah goals and objectives.
2. Provides leadership, vision, and strategic direction to Undergraduate Advising Services
through identifying key needs and prioritizing and developing a strategic plan for
assessment and implementation of initiatives.
3. Provides guidance and support for staff by setting short and long-term goals for
the department and encouraging personal/professional goal setting among
employees, defining clear job descriptions and expectations, ensuring
competency of supervisees, and conducting ongoing performance evaluation.
4. Effectively communicates the roles, responsibilities, and needs of Undergraduate
Advising Services to key stakeholders, including the Dean’s office, academic departments,
5. Oversees all operations related to undergraduate student advising.
6. Manages area budget, estimating budgetary requirements for staff, space
and equipment. Ensures timely follow through on budget-related activities
such as requests, reimbursements, and budget reporting. Forecasts capital
and operating budget needs.
7. Oversees recruitment and retention of assigned staff to maintain a high performing,
committed, and highly-skilled academic advising team. Oversees
the analysis and determination of appropriate staffing levels to support
8. Collaborates with other David Eccles School of Business organizations, including but
not limited to Student Engagement and Assessment, Business Career Services, Business
Scholars, Office for Student Inclusion, academic departments, and graduate programs.
9. Designs and coordinates ongoing program assessment initiatives to ensure
departmental goal attainment, student satisfaction, and overall effectiveness.
Enhances existing programs and develops new initiatives and services to
meet the educational and advising needs of current and prospective
10. Facilitates cooperative and collaborative community and institutional relationships. Collaborates with university partners and actively participates in university-wide committees to establish administrative plan and policies.
11. Actively participates in local, regional, and national professional associations to advance the academic advising profession and to enhance advising services designed and implemented for students in the Eccles School.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related area, or equivalency; eight years of progressively more responsible management experience; and demonstrated leadership, human relations and effective communications skills required.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
PREFERENCES: Masters Degree preferred.
TO APPLY, VISIT: https://utah.peopleadmin.com/postings/110648
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities. Please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/TDD), for further information or to request an accommodation. The University of Utah is committed to diversity in its workforce. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.