Senior Assistant Librarian
San Diego State University, Imperial Valley Library embraces innovation and collaboration, encourages diversity and deliberation, and looks for librarians who engage in a forward-looking perspective. SDSU IV Library seeks applications and nominations of a creative and dynamic individual for the position of Imperial Valley Librarian, appointed at the Senior Assistant Librarian rank. The position is a joint appointment to the San Diego State University, Imperial Valley (www.ivcampus.sdsu.edu) and the Library on the San Diego campus (www.sdsu.edu). The primary appointment is to the Imperial Valley campus in Calexico, California. The Imperial Valley campus is located seven blocks from the United States-Mexico border at Mexicali, Baja California, and 120 miles east of San Diego, California.
The Imperial Valley librarian serves as liaison and is responsible for collections, instruction, outreach, and research consultations for SDSU Imperial Valley Library. Subjects may include but are not limited to Criminal Justice, Public Administration, Education, Nursing, Social Work, Psychology, English, Mathematics, History, Social Science, and Spanish. The position will also provide virtual reference services and information literacy instruction.
SDSU-Imperial Valley is a diverse, Hispanic-Serving Institution with a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence. Our campus community is diverse in many ways, including race, religion, color, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, pregnancy, medical condition, and covered veteran status. We strive to build and sustain a welcoming environment for all. SDSU is seeking applicants with demonstrated experience in and/or commitment to teaching and working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and members of underrepresented groups. Candidates must satisfy two or more of the eight Building on Inclusive Excellence (BIE) criteria. Candidates that meet BIE criteria: (a) are committed to engaging in service with underrepresented populations within the discipline, (b) have demonstrated knowledge of barriers for underrepresented students and faculty within the discipline, (c) have experience or have demonstrated commitment to teaching and mentoring underrepresented students, (d) have experience or have demonstrated commitment to integrating understanding of underrepresented populations and communities into research, (e) have experience in or have demonstrated commitment to extending knowledge of opportunities and challenges in achieving artistic/scholarly success to members of an underrepresented group, (f) have experience in or have demonstrated commitment to research that engages underrepresented communities, (g) have expertise or demonstrated commitment to developing expertise in cross-cultural communication and collaboration, and/or (h) have research interests that contribute to diversity and equal opportunity in higher education. Please indicate in your cover letter how you meet at least two of these criteria.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will:
- Commit to fostering an equitable and inclusive workplace, and an ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff, and student population is essential.
- Provide liaison, outreach, and support to assigned academic departments to ensure collections and services meet faculty and student needs.
- Initiate and conduct course-related and general information literacy instruction and develop content, including course guides, subject guides, and other instructional and outreach materials in the assigned areas.
- Provide in-person and online reference services, including research consultations with all members of the SDSU community and, where practicable, to members of the Imperial Valley community. Also, participate in the SDSU shared virtual library reference chat service.
- Build, assess and promote IV Campus library collections that meet the research and curricular needs of undergraduate and graduate students, and faculty at SDSU Imperial Valley.
- Provide oversight, and guidance to paraprofessional staff.
- Collaborates with and supports IV Campus Associate Dean on issues relating to library facilities and events.
- Leads library orientation for new students.
- Engage and participate in ongoing assessment of student learning, library collections and services.
- Engage in professional service and scholarly contributions; participate in committees and faculty governance at SDSU IV and at SDSU main campus. Serves as an integral part of the SDSU IV faculty.
- Coordinate with the SDSU Campus administration to oversee the operational needs of the library and to request resources as appropriate for the library to fulfill its mission related to providing information technology and library resources for students.
- ALA-accredited master's degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent foreign degree
- Demonstrated public service experience with providing reference services in person or through a virtual mode to members of an academic community.
- Demonstrated experience providing library instruction.
- Experience selecting books for an academic library collection in relevant subject areas.
- Demonstrated experience with conducting library services outreach (e.g. student orientations, faculty workshops)
- Demonstrated ability to initiate innovative projects or services with a diverse team.
- Working knowledge of Libguides or equivalent system for creating research guides.
- Working knowledge of the operational areas of an academic library.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Initiative, flexibility, and ability to work creatively and effectively both independently and as a team member.
- Potential for meeting the requirements for tenure and promotion based on library service effectiveness, professional growth, and service to the University and community.
- Competence and sensitivity in working at a university in which students, faculty, and staff are broadly diverse with regard to many facets of identity, including but not limited to gender, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion
- Experience working in public services in an academic library.
- Experience providing training programs for staff and/or student assistants.
- Working knowledge of a second language, preferably Spanish.
This is a full-time, twelve-month, tenure track faculty position. Tenure is dependent upon continuing library service effectiveness, professional growth and development, and service to the University and community. Salary range: Excellent benefits, including medical, dental, and vision plans, retirement package, as well as 24 vacation days per year.
This position will remain open until filled. Review will begin immediately.
Applicants should apply via Interfolio at https://apply.interfolio.com/83288
Requests for additional information should be directed to Samuel Palma, Teacher Education Search Committee, San Diego State University, Imperial Valley Campus, 720 Heber Avenue, Calexico, CA 92231. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: 760 768-5520.
Candidates should submit cover letter, curriculum vitae, and names and contact information of three (3) references.
Anticipated start date is August 2021.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
San Diego State University is a Title IX, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.
SDSU honors its residence on Kumeyaay land. For millennia, the Kumeyaay people have been a part of this land. This land has nourished, healed, protected and embraced them for many generations in a relationship of balance and harmony. As members of the San Diego State community we acknowledge this legacy. We promote this balance and harmony. We find inspiration from this land; the land of the Kumeyaay.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Calexico
- Professional Fields Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Calexico
- Library & Information Sciences Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Calexico
- Administrative Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Calexico
- Academic Affairs Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Calexico