Online Learning Experience Designer
The Online Learning Experience Designer will work with faculty to design, develop and teach media-rich, highly-interactive fully online courses that provide a student-centered and authentic online learning experience for students at Southern Methodist University. The Designer will work collaboratively with faculty and course production project managers to produce instructional and supplementary materials for online programs and will help train and support faculty in the technical and pedagogical skills necessary to deliver quality online learning content and courses. This is a 12-month position requiring full time in-office hours.
- Work with academic leadership and faculty to design and implement innovative and effective online learning techniques.
- Work with faculty to create new courses and revise existing courses for online delivery.
- Coordinate efforts with and report progress regularly to course production project manager(s) and other leadership.
- Advise, train and support faculty on the appropriate tools, media and instructional strategies to achieve course learning objectives as defined by course production project manager(s) and faculty.
- Assist faculty with developing appropriate assessment tools and strategies to align with course learning objectives as defined by course production project manager(s) and faculty.
- Submit and coordinate media/video/audio/graphic requests with the course production project manager(s) and the online course production team's video resources.
- Coordinate activities alongside faculty throughout each course's development life-cycle to the course production project manager(s) to ensure that deadlines are realized.
- Perform technology-based coordinative duties such as assisting faculty build "sandbox/development" courses and assisting with the copying of course content into new course shells and/or into new terms. Expected to develop professional proficiency and to leverage common SMU instructional technologies as defined by course production needs.
- Perform regular course content quality and accessibility checks according to institutional quality/compliance/accreditation requirements.
- Maintain awareness of instructional design trends, techniques and related technology tools. Performs other duties as assigned.
A Master's degree in instructional design, educational technology, instructional systems, or learning experiences is required for this role.
Two years of demonstrated experience in an academic or training environment in the development of course content for online delivery, including designing and producing digital course modules/web pages, web graphics, web resources, and other digital course materials is also required.
Familiarity with instructional design, including adult learning theories, learning styles, and learning outcome assessment techniques is strongly preferred. Working knowledge of learning management systems (e.g., Canvas) for instruction is a plus. Experience in project management is desired.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The ideal candidate will have strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills and a strong customer service orientation. Problem solving, time management and project management are key. Organizational and planning skills along with attention to detail are a must.
Familiarity with learning management systems (eg Canvas) and other common instructional technologies is required. The ability to skillfully use various audio and video technologies (video cameras, webcams, wireless mics, etc.) and basic knowledge of streaming audio, video, video-conferencing is also a must. Familiarity with modern quality rubrics (eg. Quality Matters) is desired.
Required software: Canvas, Zoom, Adobe Captivate, Camtasia, SnagIt, non-linear video editing software, audio editing software.
Knowledge of emerging technologies as related to teaching and learning is a plus.
This position requires the ability to sit for long periods of time.
Deadline to Apply:
This position is open until filled.